Tuesday, Oct. 1

Winning France's highest honor

Ballet professor Violette Verdy stretches on a barre Tuesday at the Musical Arts Center. Verdy, a native of France, will be presented with France's highest honor by President Nicolas Sarkozy this June.

President of France M. Nicolas Sarkozy awarded IU Distinguished Professor of Ballet Violette Verdy France’s highest decoration for her numerous successes in ballet.

He knighted her a Chevalier in France’s National Order of the Legion of Honor, and Verdy will formally accept the award in June.

“It is extremely exhilarating and humbling at the same time,” Verdy said.

In 1802, Napoleon Bonaparte established the honor to commend civilians and soldiers who have served France.

“At first it was only for men and soldiers in the military and people that gave their lives for the country, then little by little they made room for women ... and people that do great service to their country,” Verdy said.

Before joining the Jacobs School of Music faculty in 1996, Verdy was principal dancer with the New York City Ballet for 20 years. As an international ballerina, she performed with major companies in the United States and Europe.

“She is well known for her generosity as a teacher and coach, freely giving of her own experiences,” said Michael Vernon, chair of the IU ballet department. “We are so fortunate to have her on the permanent faculty of the ballet department here.”

Along with dancing, she has credits as a former artistic director, choreographer and teacher for dance companies and schools throughout the world, including the Paris Opera Ballet.

Verdy is also an author of two children’s books, “Gisele: A Role for a Lifetime” and “Of Swans, Sugar Plums and Satin Slippers.”

“It is such an honor not only for Violette to receive this award, but for the ballet department and for the (Jacobs School of Music) as a whole,” Vernon said. “It is fitting that it has been awarded to Violette who, apart from having an illustrious career as a ballet dancer, has spent her time since she retired from the stage in helping others to learn, to understand and to improve their work in this field.”

Verdy said the award is not only a symbol of accomplishment but also serves to recognize some of her older family members’ contributions to her success as well as her family members who fought and gave their lives in the French Resistance in World War II.

While she credits her success to many people, Verdy also said it is her desire to learn her craft that has kept her going.

“Violette is definitely one of the most inspiring, passionate people I’ve ever met ... and it is a pretty powerful experience when her teaching methods – that are so refined and logical – start to make sense,” said junior Ben Delony, a student of Verdy’s.

Verdy said she never thought she would become a professor of ballet, so teaching in higher education was like a dream she never had.

“The students make me feel younger,” Verdy said. “Their hopes, dreams, aspirations make me want to go on.”