Monday, Sept. 30

Former Jacobs dean wins award

Charles H. Webb, former dean of the Jacobs School of Music, was honored on Feb. 28 by the Indianapolis Symphonic Choir by being named the recipient of the first-ever Elmer Steffen Founder’s Award.

Steffen was the first conductor of the Indianapolis Symphonic Choir in 1937. Eric Stark, the artistic director for the Indianapolis Symphonic Choir, said the award was created to honor an individual who has made an impact in or helped benefit the choir.

“I felt very honored and humbled,” Webb said. “They have had a number of very good conductors, and it was an honor to be selected.”

Before coming to IU in 1973, Webb became the conductor of the Indianapolis Symphonic Choir and Orchestra in 1967 and served as a conductor until 1980. Among the pieces he conducted were Handel’s “Messiah” and Berlioz’s “L’Enfance du Christ.”

The Indianapolis Symphonic Choir Board of Directors  chose Webb for the honor.

The director’s tenure “set the stage for so much success artistically and organizationally,” said Michael Pettry, the executive director for the Indianapolis Symphonic Choir. “The choir is among the leaders in the field nationally, and so much of that is due to Charles’ leadership.”

With the choir turning 72 years old this year, Stark said it was an appropriate time to create this award.

“We felt this was an organization that had so much history. The board decided it would be a great time, and we could think of no better of a person to award it to,” Stark said.

Webb received advance notice of his award and spoke upon receiving the honor at the choir’s Gala Bel Canto celebration at Union Station at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Indianapolis.

“He was a real dynamic leader who not only had top musical and leadership qualities but was an effective leader in the community as well,” Stark said.

While Webb said it would be difficult to pick a favorite piece that he conducted with the group he said that conducting the Berlioz’s Requiem, which his group performed in Carnegie Hall in New York City was high on the list.

“He was highly regarded by folks at the Indianapolis Symphonic Choir and has conducted many concerts,” Stark said. “He has given us the boost to help us become the group we are today.”

Upon serving as conductor he said that the choir made several trips to Europe and had the chance to sing in many of the cathedrals.

“My greatest thrill was rehearsing and conducting and getting to work with such a talented group,” Webb said. “We worked extremely hard and got a lot of great results.”

While Webb continues to visit the IU campus he says he misses the camaraderie and daily contact with students and faculty. He still continues to judge competitions and will be playing in a recital this month with IU student Esther Kim."Dr. Webb is a visionary leader, he has served music and the arts with such passion, prowess and dedication,” Pettry said.