Friday, Oct. 11

Hoosiers close in on tourney win

IU junior Drew Allenspach puts on the green April 17, 2008 at the IU Golf Course during practice.

In what is considered a preview of the NCAA Championships, No. 6 IU has advanced to the semifinals of the Collegiate Match Play Championship in San Diego.

The match play format of the tournament mirrors that of the new NCAA Championship, and the field includes the top ten nationally ranked schools. As of Monday, IU has distanced itself from the competition.

After qualifying for the championship bracket behind the play of  freshman David Erdy, the Hoosiers won 3-2 against No.5 Stanford to advance. IU coach Mike Mayer said his team showed their determination by coming back for the victory despite a slow start.

The Hoosiers will face defending champion UCLA on Tuesday. Mayer said he is happy with the victory, but has to prepare for the next challenge.

“Any time you get a win over a program like Stanford, you have to be pleased,” Mayer said. “Now we have to go get ready to play another very good team in UCLA.”

If IU defeats UCLA, it would play either Florida State or Middle Tennessee in the championship.

Winners against Stanford were Erdy and seniors Jorge Campillo and Seth Brandon. Senior Drew Allenspach and junior Alex Martin dropped their matches.

-Ryan Winn