Monday, Sept. 30

‘Leprechaun’ parties for art

The "Leprechaun", IU Sophomore Kaylee Spivey, mingles with attendees of the 1st annual Leprechaun's Birthday at the Waldron Arts Center on Wednesday evening.  The event was the sixth of 35 events being held at the Center to celebrate it's 35th anniversary.

In celebration of the Bloomington Area Arts Council’s 35th birthday, Bloomington resident Robert Stumpf played bagpipes outside of the John Waldron Art Center Wednesday at A Leprechaun’s Birthday. The birthday party was one of 35 events the council will put on this year.  

The goal of the events is to provide exposure for the council and to invite people to enjoy what the art center has to offer, said Ashley Fisher, president of the council’s board of trustees.

“The Art Center showcases everything from fine art to performing art,” she said.
Another goal of the events is to raise at least $350,000 by the last celebration in September, Fisher said. The money donated to the council will help pay for the operation of the art center, provide grants and endow performance positions, she said.

Sophomore Kaylee Spivey, the “Leprechaun” whose pretend birthday was being celebrated, said she thought the party was great.

“I was born in 1492 and ever since have been on the run,” she said.

Spivey said she does not usually have birthday parties, and when she does, they only consist of a few leprechaun friends and family.

“It’s a great turnout,” she said. “There are at least 50 people. I’m very excited.”

The council received help from many members of the community in putting on A Leprechaun’s Birthday.

Children from Harmony School helped with the rainbow of balloons that lined the main staircase, Fisher said.

Stumpf also said he volunteered his services as a member of the Bloomington Fire Department’s bag and pipe band. The band was developed last year with the help of a grant provided by the council for equipment and outfits for the members.

Shelly Ritter, a Bloomington resident and member of the council, said she attended the event to support the art community. As a local artist, Ritter said she wants to sponsor all the activities at the art center in promoting the arts.

Staff members of the council and the art center also showed their support by attending the event.

Karri Basford, the council’s financial manager, said she thought the celebration was beautiful.

“The party promotes everything St. Patrick’s Day,” she said. “It’s a great representation.”