Monday, Sept. 30

Soulja Boy to perform after women’s Little 500 race

Rapper Soulja Boy Tell ’Em will crank Bloomington during Little 500 week.
Soulja Boy, who became famous in 2007 for his hit single “Crank That,” will be performing April 24 – the day of the women’s Little 500 race – at the tailgate fields.

“Crank That” reached the top of the charts in 2007 and was named one of the best songs of that year by Rolling Stone magazine.

Tickets will be available from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday. Students can get tickets for $20 from the Indiana Memorial Union Lit Desk with their student ID. Afterward, tickets will be available at T.I.S. Bookstores, Tracks Music and Ticketmaster. Students can also get tickets by calling 287-2549.

“I really like Soulja Boy,” freshman Vishnu Venkatesh said. “If it’s going to keep our university active, I’m happy.”

Arjun Rao, another freshman, is also anticipating the concert.
“I’m fascinated because I like Soulja Boy,” he said.

Soulja Boy’s appearance is sponsored by the Ice House Foundation, a subsidiary of IU’s ice hockey team.

“The goal of the Ice House Foundation is to build a new ice rink in Bloomington,” senior Derren Chapman said.

Members of the foundation hope 5,000 people come to the concert, said senior foundation member Jason Apple.

Soulja Boy will be unveiling the new jersey for IU’s ice hockey team at the show. In addition, the winning women’s Little 500 team will receive free tickets as well as an appearance on stage with the artist.

Artists Trilla G and Team Realabout will be opening for Soulja Boy for what has been confirmed by the IU Student Foundation as the official Little 500 Friday concert. The Ice House Foundation has promised increased and professional security from last year’s DMX concert at Lambda Chi Alpha, which ended in a near riot.

“Our goal for this was to incorporate the artist into the tradition,” Chapman said. “We want to give all students a great show at a great price.”