Monday, Sept. 30

Women to Women fashion show raises money for Middle Way House

Women to Women, a new IU student group formed in January, hosted its first fundraiser for Middle Way House on Sunday at the Indiana Memorial Union – an accessories fashion show featuring stylish handbags.

Six apparel-merchandising majors formed Women to Women with a mission to create a student group that would empower and celebrate the women of IU, according to Ashley Seener, president and founder of Women to Women.

With all the girls having an affinity for fashion, the idea for a runway show to fundraise came together quickly.

“We wanted to do something different, so we chose handbags,” said Lauren Thomas, head of marketing and public relations for Women to Women.

The fashion show had a playful atmosphere as models strutted down a runway, swinging colorful bags on their arms to the beats of DJ Chris Hatke.

“I’m really glad I can be here and support a great cause,” sophomore Megan Jelarden said.

Attendees of the show had the pleasure of not only viewing the handbags, but of buying them as well. MJK Global Sourcing provided the 60 purses featured in the show, each priced at $40 or less.

Admission to the show was $6 at the door, $5 if bought in advance, with proceeds benefiting Middle Way House.

“I really like Middle Way House,” Seener said. “I like what their goals are. They help abused women find jobs, give the kids day care, provide them with anything they need not only to help them be strong, but to make a change in their life.”

Middle Way House strives to help women and children who are victims of domestic violence, as well as prevent violence through means of prevention programs in schools, clubs and congregations.  

“We house up to 20 women at any given time,” said Charlotte Zietlow, Economic Development Coordinator of Middle Way House.

“It’s a really great club everyone should get involved in,” Seener said. “This is something all girls can relate to.”