Sunday, Sept. 29

‘Beautiful Mind’ author to speak today at IMU

Nasar will discuss covering business, economics

Sylvia Nasar did not intend to be a journalist.

Nasar – journalist, economist and author of the book “A Beautiful Mind” – said her options were to write for Fortune magazine or “move to central New Jersey and analyze long-distance phone rates for AT&T.”

Nasar’s list of accomplishments is why the IU School of Journalism invited her to close the third year of its speaker series at 7 p.m. Tuesday in Alumni Hall in the Indiana Memorial Union.

“When setting up the series, we are looking for a good mix of journalists,” said Beth Moellers, director of communications for the IU School of Journalism. “With Sylvia, we are interested in somebody who has experience writing science, math and economics – a hot topic these days.”

After writing for Fortune, she moved to The New York Times to write about economics. There, she found the story that brought her acclaim and caused Hollywood to come knocking.

“I heard a rumor that a crazy mathematician who hung around Princeton’s math building might be on the short list for a Nobel in economics,” Nasar said. “When I heard it was John Nash of the Nash Equilibrium, I got interested.”

The book went on to become a critical success, winning the National Book Critics
Circle award, and was nominated for the Pulitzer Prize for biography. It was a popular
success as well, appearing on The New York Times bestseller list.

“I wasn’t surprised that the story struck a chord, only at the magnitude and longevity of the reaction,” Nasar said.

Three years after publication, the book was adapted into an Academy Award-winning film.

“Getting a movie deal was highly welcome – Brian Grazer and Ron Howard were the best,” Nasar said about the experience. “Besides, the money helped everyone – paying for my three kids’ college, John Nash’s mortgage, his sons’ medical treatment, his wife Alicia’s retirement and other good things.”

Nasar plans to talk about advances in medical knowledge of the brain and how reporters can “get their arms around” complex issues like mathematics and
economics when she comes to IU.

Moellers said this skill was a main factor in the decision to bring Nasar to IU.

“She has a way of breaking down complex math problems or economics problems and (explaining) them in a clear, engaging way,” Moellers said.

Many students are excited about hearing what Nasar has to say about the economy, as well as her experience in journalism.

“I was a huge fan of the movie, and I just read the book,” said junior Courtney Flannery. “I think it’s going to be great to hear her speak. I hope that I can one day inspire people as she has done.”

Unlike some, Nasar sees the profession of journalism in hopeful terms.

“The current economic crisis is a golden, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity,” she said. “Starting with Karl Marx and Charles Dickens, individual journalists have tended to thrive during market meltdowns and recessions because the audience is finally paying attention.”