Monday, Sept. 30

Business student to open for Soulja Boy on Friday

Jake Udell will be opening for Soulja Boy this Friday evening 6 to 9 p.m. at the Tailgate Fields.

Sophomore Jake Udell, also known as JQ, is determined to be famous.

The Kelley School of Business direct-admit will serve as an opening act for Soulja Boy Tell ’Em’s Little 500 concert Friday.

Udell said he will perform tracks from his upcoming mix tape and album “One Man Show.” The mix tape will be available online for free download April 24 and the album will be available later this year.

Udell grew up in Northbrook, Ill., and began his career as an entrepreneur during his freshman year in high school, when he started the sports memorabilia business ONtheCOURTSports. He said his journey to the music industry began when he was watching the Grammy Awards in February 2008.

“I watched the performances, and I thought, ‘This does not look difficult,’” Udell said. “I plan on being at the Grammys next year. I will do whatever I have to do to be there.” 

Udell began writing raps and made plans to go to New York to jump-start his career, but before he left, his uncle put him in touch with his current producer, Vince Lawrence of Slang Music Group. He records with Lawrence and travels to Chicago every weekend to record, all while being a Zeta Beta Tau fraternity member and business student.

Udell described his music as a mix of pop, hip hop and rap. He said his music has a distinct sound, and he is not afraid to talk about sex in his lyrics.

“I don’t like songs that are about nothing,” he said. “I don’t mind being a symbol of all the different things I represent.”

Freshman Jon Stein, a co-leader of Udell’s street team at IU, Burbetto, said the group works together to promote Udell and his music through publicity and Internet marketing. 

“It’s definitely a privilege and opportunity to work with Jake because he’s already had a lot of successes in life,” Stein said.

Stein, also a business student, said he met Udell through a friend and has gained skills that deal with effectively marketing campaigns. The term “Burbetto” comes from the suburban and ghetto culture, Stein said.

IU Business Communication Lecturer Tatiana Kolovou, a former professor of Udell’s, described Jake as curious, intense and creative. Kolovou said she thinks Udell’s experience as a business student has helped him with his music career.

“He has to be very concise and persuasive and speak with conviction and be organized in his thinking,” Kolovou said. “I haven’t known many students that have been very interested in creating their own business at such a young age.”

Kolovou said in order to be successful as a business leader, one shouldn’t be afraid to work hard, be professional at all times and sacrifice some fun to reach a goal.

“Jake drives to Chicago every weekend, and I know he spends some time in the recording studio,” she said. “And that’s what it takes.”

Chris Trapani, Udell’s manager, said Udell is on top of his game.

“I see him moving forward at light-speed,” he said. “I can’t foresee him giving up on anything until he is at where we wants to be.”

Udell said he agrees with Trapani. Udell said he would not settle for anything less than being as famous as artists such as U2, Coldplay and Kanye West.

“If there’s not going to be that level of success,” Udell said, “then I’m not interested.”