Friday, Oct. 11

Despite injury, former rider delivers for team

Sean Morrison | IDS
Junior Adam Bailey, a rider for Vicious & Delicious who cannot ride this year, cheers on his team as they sprint for their bikes during Team Pursuit on April 18. Bailey suffered a brain hemorrhage and skull fracture after falling off a bike while delivering sandwiches for Jimmy John’s, where the team members work.

He made a career of cycling before the race. He plans to continue riding later in life.
But for now, he is on the sidelines.

A brain hemorrhage and a skull fracture prevent him from competing in this year’s Little 500. But he still plans to be with his team April 25, helping in any way he can.

He is Adam Bailey, a junior and former rider for Vicious & Delicious, a team of Jimmy John’s delivery men.

Bailey was riding back from delivering sandwiches Feb. 27, a Friday night, when his tire got caught in a loose wire on the street.

“I was half a block away from the shop,” Bailey said. “I don’t remember any of what happened.”

The bike stopped – but he didn’t. He flew forward, and his head cracked into the ground, fracturing his skull and causing a brain hemorrhage. He was taken to the hospital soon after.

His teammates at the time, seniors Vince Jennings and Brian Clark and sophomore Vince Razo, were the first ones to get to the hospital. They stayed with Bailey through the night as he slipped in and out of consciousness.

“The first thing he asked about when he regained consciousness from his skull fracture was, ‘How long until I can start training again for Little Five?’” Jennings said.

Antoine Huston, the team sponsor, also came to see Bailey.

“They were really there for me,” Bailey said.

Bailey was released March 1. He said he has mixed feelings about the incident.
“I do feel lucky to have survived it, but I feel bummed,” he said. “I do feel like I let my team down.”

Bailey will miss one of the biggest parts of IU’s tradition since its start in 1951. He will not get a chance to ride next year because he plans to graduate after the fall 2009 semester.

“I was looking forward to the race,” he said. “The ride’s an experience. I hear it’s the experience of a lifetime.”

After his release, Bailey stayed home for a week and a half. He was recently allowed back on the bike in a limited capacity – though not for racing – and has gotten back to schoolwork.

“It’s been difficult,” he said. “I’m working through it. My professors are very understanding. They’re working with me.”

But Bailey will not let his team down. He still plans to remain involved with Vicious & Delicious, though it won’t be on a bike.

“I’ve been discussing with them the possibility of being a mechanic on the day of the race,” he said.

Vicious & Delicious will miss Bailey on race day, Jennings said.

“We would be a stronger team with him,” Jennings said.

Bailey has an outgoing, positive and upbeat personality, Huston said. It is one of the qualities helping him through his struggle, and it allowed him to quickly establish connections with his fellow employees.

“Within the first two days of hiring him, it was like he was there for a year like everybody else,” Huston said. “He just fit right in.”

Jennings said Bailey has a lot of determination and drive to excel at everything he does. That determination has helped Bailey to get back on the bike and start riding again, albeit at a slower pace and with a helmet.

“He always wants to get up and always wants to get out there,” Jennings said. “Going anything less than 100 percent is boring to him.”

John Irmiter, the replacement rider for Bailey, said he didn’t know Bailey when he first started riding for the team because he worked for the Jimmy John’s on 10th Street, not Bailey’s Kirkwood Avenue location. But in the short time he’s known him, Irmiter said he has noticed Bailey is a very friendly person.

“He’s been real supportive,” Irmiter said. “He’s come to quite a few of the track practices giving me tips and pointers from what he knows from riding.”

Huston said the accident hasn’t changed Bailey much.

“His personality is the same,” Huston said. “He’s still a happy person and tries to help out as much as he can.”

Despite what happened, Bailey said the opportunity was more than worth it. From the fall cycling series to the formation of Vicious & Delicious to the new friendships, he said every moment was memorable.

“I’ve loved all of it,” he said. “The experience of riding on the track, getting some of the knowledge of the Rider’s Council passed on to us, was excellent. Just spending time on the track was wonderful.”

Now, Bailey helps Jimmy John’s by answering phones and still supports Vicious & Delicious.

“He’s probably their No. 1 fan next to the guys’ girlfriends,” Huston said.

Irmiter said he will ride with Bailey’s passion for the race in mind and try his best to fill his shoes come race day.

“At least I’m there to represent him a little,” he said.

Bailey was and will remain a bike enthusiast. While the Little 500 strengthened his enthusiasm for riding, he said he would ride even without the experience. Although he suffered a hard fall, he plans to get back on the bike and ride again.

“It was an absolute passion before the race,” he said. “I’m an addict – my fix just happens to have pedals and wheels.”