Monday, Sept. 30

Dressing for the weather during Little 500

Bloomington’s crazy weather still has us walking around campus wearing winter jackets in the middle of April. And although jackets should be a staple item in everyone’s wardrobe, I think we are all ready to trade them in for some spring and summer gear.

Just in time for the Little 500, the temperatures are rising, so we may get that chance.

The greatest college weekend kicks off with the Little fifty on Thursday, and we should see temperatures in the lower 70s. On both Friday and Saturday for the women’s and men’s Little 500 races, we should see temperatures reaching over 80 degrees.
It’s time to pull out the shorts.

We are always told less is more, and when buying a pair of women’s shorts, that’s a good motto to stick to. I am not at all suggesting that anyone be inappropriate – I am sure all the alcohol this weekend will help people to do enough of that on their own.

Instead, pick a pair that hits mid-thigh and has rips and shreds. Remember, it’s a huge fashion “don’t” to wear booty shorts, where the tip of your pocket just barely covers your underwear. Dressing right is all about choosing correct proportions, and looking sexy often means leaving some things to the imagination. Don’t be too revealing.

Designers such as Alexander McQueen, Givenchy and Dolce & Gabbana are sporting jumpsuits on the runway. This is being translated into spring and summer wear for women.

You can find your very own jumpsuit at stores such as Express, Urban Outfitters and Forever 21. Most are made of cotton and linen to keep you cool if you decide to wear your one-piece to the Little 500.

I’ll admit, I am not a huge fan of uni-clothing, but jumpsuits are hot right now.

For those feeling a bit more girly, try wearing a maxi dress while cheering on your team.

The maxi dress is a huge phenomenon in the fashion world right now. It is basically a long, flowy summer dress with straps that may be thin, thick or halter style. A maxi dress is almost always bright and features bold patterns or floral prints. Macy’s has a huge selection of these dresses if you are looking for a last-minute maxi before the race.

Just in case our trusty weather forecasters get it wrong, be prepared for unpredictable rain showers.

Up your cuteness factor and use your umbrella as an accessory. Stripes, polka dots or flowers are the predominant patterns this season.

If you want to get really creative, buy a clear umbrella. That way, you can easily watch the race while staying completely dry.

The weather is never an excuse to dress drab. Instead, be fab by fashioning the new warm-weather styles this weekend. And if the rain catches you by surprise, have no fear: trendy umbrellas are everywhere.