Friday, Oct. 11

IU finishes 5th in tournament

After a slow start to day one, the No. 6 IU men’s golf team responded with a resilient effort.

IU climbed from 11th place to finish the day in fifth at the Boilermaker Invitational in West Lafayette.

The day marked the end of the regular season for the Hoosiers. With this weekend’s finish, the team has top-five finishes in nine out of the 10 tournaments in which it participated this year.

Its next challenge comes in the form of the Big Ten Championships in State College, Penn.

As a team, the Hoosiers finished fourth in last year’s tournament, but senior Jorge Campillo took home top honors.

In his final regular season tournament as a Hoosier, Campillo had a score of 212 and was the team’s top performer with a fifth-place finish, his sixth top-five finish this season.

Junior Alex Martin joined Campillo with a final round score of 69 and a total of 215, a score that moved him to seventh place.

The Hoosiers already know whom they will be playing in the NCAA Regionals, but IU coach Mike Mayer was adamant in saying that knowledge will not deter his team from its original goal.

“The only thing on our mind right now, as it has been all season, is the Big Ten championship,” Mayer said. “Once that is over, then we can get ready for postseason play.”