Monday, Sept. 30

Jewish Theatre to debut show about perception

The same moment can be perceived differently by two different people. This is the basis for Donald Margulies’s “Collected Stories,” which The Jewish Theatre of Bloomington will debut Thursday.

This staged reading will be the fourth show The Jewish Theatre has put on, said Audrey Helle, co-founder and producing artistic director.

Heller’s commitment to Judaism and theater inspired her to create an outlet where she could combine the two. Past shows include Sopholces’ “Antigone,” Marvin Chernoff’s “Chaim’s Love Song” and Jeff Baron’s “Visiting Mr. Green.”

The plot of “Collected Stories” follows the relationship between university writing professor Ruth Steiner, played by former Student Legal Services Director Paula Gordon, and her student Lisa Morrison, played by senior Alyson Bloom.

After mentoring her student, Steiner finds herself betrayed as she discovers her secrets revealed by the very person in whom she confided the most.

Saturday’s performance will also feature a post-show discussion with visiting professor in the IU Department of Theatre and Drama Ken Weitzman, as well as English professor Christine Farris.

Darrell Stone, the show’s director, said she is particularly fond of the play and the issues it explores as well as the two women starring in it. She specifically mentioned the writing and character development.

“When you have two women who are genuinely willing to go down the road of character development, it really makes for wonderful rehearsals,” she said.

The role of Ruth Steiner is a very serious one for Gordon, who previously had a character role in “Chaim’s Love Song.” Gordon, who was a theater major in college, said she is glad she’s able to be back doing what she loves after her recent retirement.

“It’s been great fun,” she said. “The role is very serious and it allows the audience to look at it from both points of view. It really asks the question: ‘Where do you cross the line when you use someone else’s secrets?’”

Stone said the play gives a lot for the audience to interpret. Because the piece is so beautifully written, she said, there will be a simple set design with many layers so the audience can connect on multiple levels.

“There really is a lot,” she said. “The play deals with cultural issues, diversity, boundary issues, ageism, who we are and what we want people to know about us.”

Stone said the play appeals to a diverse audience.

“It really is an actor’s dream and a director’s dream,” she said.