Monday, Sept. 30

Jewish Theatre’s play brings betrayal, intimacy to stage

Perhaps Ruth Steiner says it best: “There’s no fact, no fiction – it’s all borrowed.”

The Jewish Theatre of Bloomington explored that very idea when it presented a staged reading of Donald Margulies’s “Collected Stories” on Thursday. Producing artistic director Audrey Heller narrated the play, which was performed at the Rose Firebay Auditorium, to a nearly sold-out audience. The set of only a desk, bookcase and couch was simple but versatile, providing an intimate yet engaging atmosphere.

“I felt a responsibility to be true to the work,” director Darrell Stone said. “I took it to the threshold of a full production, but I wanted to keep it intimate with the audience.”

Both senior Alyson Bloom, who played Lisa Morrison, and former Legal Services Director Paula Gordon, who played Ruth Steiner, said they were pleased with the audience’s reaction.

“This was wonderful,” Bloom said. “I never expected the audience to react the way they did.”

“Collected Stories” follows writer Ruth Steiner as she mentors her student, Lisa Morrison. After Steiner tells Morrison some of her most precious secrets, which
Morrison later publishes them, betraying Steiner in the process. The play follows their didactic relationship and the power struggle that unfolds in the process.

There were multiple moments when the audience laughed at Gordon’s wit and seemed intrigued by Bloom’s poise. The women worked off each other while interacting with the audience.

The actors’ performances concealed the fact that they had only two weeks to rehearse. Gordon credited Stone for making the play a success given the short period of preparation. She said Stone provided multiple layers with which to work, making for an enjoyable experience.

“She’s a fabulous director,” Gordon said. “We worked well together, and everyone seemed to enjoy it.”

Graduate student Kat Forgacs was one of such attendee. Forgacs, who designed the program for the play, said the play felt like a poem.

“The whole play was a metaphor,” she said. “It kept triggering these feelings and taking me to these places I didn’t expect.”

Forgacs, who didn’t know much about the play before coming, said she became inspired to pursue her writing again after seeing it.

“I really want to read the play now,” she said. “I’ve got so many thoughts and ideas because of this.”

Joan White, a Bloomington resident, said she enjoyed the play as well. White, who has been to all of the Jewish Theatre’s
previous plays, was especially enjoyed with “Collected Stories.”

This was Gordon’s first production since retiring last year as Student Legal Services Director. It was also Bloom’s last show in Bloomington as an IU student.

Upon graduating in May, she will perform in three musicals at the Rocky Mountain Rep Theatre in Colorado. Gordon, who was a theater major in college and has 55 years of theater experience, said she was glad to be back doing what she loves. Both
Gordon and Stone said that upon reading the script, they knew they had to do it.

“It explores so much,” Stone said. “It makes you think and ask those difficult questions.”