Friday, Oct. 11

NBA’s Jeffries donates $25,000 to Bloomington Parks and Rec.

Cleveland Cavaliers' LeBron James, right, drives to the basket past New York Knicks' Jared Jeffries in the third quarter Sunday in Cleveland. James scored 19 points and added 10 assists to the Cavaliers' 98-93 win. (AP Photo/Mark Duncan)

By Stephanie Kuzydym
skuzydym@indiana.edu

The tattoo on his right shoulder might signify that Jared Jeffries is “King of the Court,” but his contributions to Bloomington show the Bloomington High School North graduate is more of a king in the community.

Having been a Big Ten MVP, an All-American and high school Mr. Basketball in 2000, Jeffries currently plays for the NBA’s New York Knicks.

On March 25, Bloomington Mayor Mark Kruzan announced Jeffries has pledged an annual contribution to the City of Bloomington Parks and Recreation Department.

“Jared recognizes the value of recreation and sports programs and how important that is to the fabric of a community,” said director of the Bloomington Parks and Recreation Department Mick Renneisen.

This year Jeffries will contribute $25,000 to the city’s parks department. Renneisen said Jeffries realizes the importance of the parks he was able to enjoy as a child growing up
in Bloomington.

“He is in a position now financially to give back to his community, and that’s because he had good parents that suggested, ‘Remember where you grew up ... so when you have the ability to give back to your community you can do that,’” Renneisen said.

Jeffries would like his donation to be directed to SportsPlex, a fitness facility located off Bloomfield Road. The city intends to use the funds to help purchase SportsPlex. Plans for the city’s purchase await final action for approval by the city council. Actions should be taken by today.

“Jared has been a long-term supporter of the Parks and Recreation Foundation,” said Debbie Sibbitt, a member of the Parks and Recreation Foundation Board of Directors. “This is just another contribution in a long line of wonderful contributions that Jared has made back to his hometown and the parks department.”

In the past, Jeffries has run basketball camps free of charge to the Parks and Recreation Department for all kids who participated. He has also bought a scoreboard for the Banneker Community Center, where he grew up playing basketball.

“I think that’s a pretty magnanimous offer by someone, and it shows his character as an individual,” Renneisen said.

Jeffries’ generosity is also seen by other basketball players around Bloomington. IU recruit and Bloomington High School South student Jordan Hulls said Jeffries is doing a great job giving back to his community.

“He’s just a great role model for the kids, because when you watch him play basketball he’s never showboating or anything,” Hulls said. “He’s always just playing hard.”

Jeffries will also host a fundraiser for the Parks and Recreation Department with his charitable organization, The Jared Jeffries Foundation, according to a press release. NBA and NFL celebrities have been invited to attend.

“It’s been nice to have him come full circle to where he’s still giving back from what he learned,” Sibbitt said.