Friday, Oct. 11

No. 2 Hoosiers set for Big Tens

With a possible trip to the NCAA Regionals at stake, the IU women’s golf team will travel to West Lafayette for the Big Ten Tournament this weekend.

The Hoosiers are ranked fifth among Big Ten teams and No. 56 by Golfweek and might need a strong finish in the Big Ten Championship to advance to the postseason.

IU coach Clint Wallman said he knows his team is on the bubble, but if they can work on the mental aspects of the game, the Hoosiers should be in good shape to advance.

“Obviously there are the technical aspects of the game, but the one thing that affects all of that is how we take care of ourselves,” Wallman said. “We get in trouble sometimes if we get impatient.”

IU finished fourth in last year’s Big Ten tournament.

Senior Amber Lindgren said the team has been working hard all year to put itself in position, and they are doing all they can to meet their goal heading into the season: to make the postseason.

Wallman said the chance of a high placement in the tournament is good due to their style of play.

“I really think we are in good position to make a good run at this tournament,” Wallman said. “This type of golf course fits our style of play better than some other teams. We hit a lot of greens, and we are a high ball-striking team. Right away, it makes me feel better because that eliminates about half the teams.”

– By Ryan Winn