Tuesday, Oct. 1

Optometry doctors see increase in Computer Vision Syndrome

With a headache and stiff fingers, junior Chantal Rawlins struggles to finish her homework on the computer each day. Her problems are common among many people who use computers on a daily basis.

With more people using technology, doctors and optometrists have seen an increase in Computer Vision Syndrome, said Steve Hitzeman, president of the Indiana Optometric Association and IU School of Optometry clinic director. Computer Vision Syndrome results from spending too much time in front of a computer and can cause bodily aches and pains along with poor vision.

“It’s kind of like technology catching up with the population,” Hitzeman said. “The more people using it, the more people that are affected.”

Symptoms include back and neck pains, dry eyes, fatigue and light sensitivity. Permanent side effects include neck and back issues, which could in turn lead to poor posture, Hitzeman said.

On average, adults spend more than eight hours a day looking at electronic screens, according to a New York Times article. This can include computers, cell phones and GPS devices. With more people using these devices every day, Computer Vision Syndrome has become diagnosed more often.

Though the syndrome is not new, Hitzeman said the clinic has seen an increase in college students complaining of symptoms.

“If you look at it generationally, students these days are more computer savvy,” Hitzeman said.

Sophomore Aimee Light said she works on her computer an average of four to five hours each day. Though she takes breaks, she still feels the effects of the syndrome.
“I do notice when I look at a computer for awhile, my vision does start to blur,” Light said. “I feel if I would be sitting anyway, like to write a paper by hand or read a book, I would probably suffer the same amount of pain.”

Hitzeman said Computer Vision Syndrome gained more attention during March’s national Save Your Vision Week, but he said there are simple ways to avoid the strain.
The most significant problem with the syndrome is dry eye and eye strain, Hitzeman said.

If one works on a computer all day, Hitzeman said it is important for them to get prescription computer glasses because they help eliminate glare and maintain focus for longer time.

“The same kinds of problems would come from reading a book for long periods of time,” Hitzeman said. “But you wouldn’t spend that much time on a book.”

To eliminate back and neck pain that could lead to posture problems, Hitzeman said he recommends the monitor be positioned about two feet away and four inches below eye level.

While some people come in to the optometry clinic asking for a way to solve problems caused by Computer Vision Syndrome, Hitzeman said most people don’t know they have the syndrome, so more awareness of the issue is important.

Rawlins, who works on the school computers a majority of the time, said while most monitors are set up correctly, the pain still comes when she works on them for too long.

“The pain I experience from the computer affects my motivation to do my schoolwork,” Rawlins said. “In almost every class you have to do some type of writing. They place everything on the computers now, not only for students, but for professors, also.”