Sunday, Sept. 29

RSO Fashion Show to display local designers, student’s original pieces

Models, the red carpet, a runway and fashion will glamorize Alumni Hall for one night of faux-Hollywood.

The Retail Studies Organization will present its annual fashion show at 7:30 p.m. Thursday in Alumni Hall. This year’s theme, “Viva La Glam,” embodies old Hollywood glamour and showcases local retailers and original designs from students in the Department of Apparel Merchandising and Interior Design.

Local retailers featured in the show will include Cha Cha, Haley’s Boutique, Relish and InSeam Denim Supply.  

This year will be InSeam owner Jennifer Holton’s second year in the show, and she said she feels the show will promote the name of her business. As far as fashions displayed in the show, Holton said bright colors typically look better on the runway, and she follows trends that are complementary to the season.

“Last year everyone seemed to have fun, and it was a great way to showcase the designs,” she said. “I’m excited.”

According to the Retail Studies Organization’s Web site, its mission is to provide leadership and educational training to those pursuing careers in merchandising and retailing. Senior Kelsey Young and junior Brittney DePaola are members of the organization and coordinators for the fashion show.

“This event allows people to be more engaged with the Retail Studies Organization and gain a little more insight to the major itself,” DePaola said. “It allows people to see that it is a lot of work, but creativity plays an important role in the major.”

DePaola assisted the director in last year’s show, but this was her first year organizing the event with her colleague.

While running errands for the event, she explained how organizing the fashion show involves a lot of effort and hard work, such as speaking with retailers, coordinating with the fashion design students, choosing music for the show and selecting models, among many other tasks.

RSO received an $800 grant for supplies, marketing and miscellaneous cost for the show and another $1,200 to rent out Alumni Hall and pay workers.

The fashion show would not be as glamorous without the lights, cameras and music. Freshman Albert Cheng is in charge of technology for the show and will control the sound and music to which the models will strut down the runway.

One desire Young and DePaola share is for the show to send business to the local retailers. With the economy declining, DePaola said she imagines the retailers’ businesses reflect hard times.

“I hope it gives their businesses a boost,” Young said.  

While Young hopes attendees will visit the contributing stores, she said the main goal of the show is to highlight the talents and original pieces of the students.

“I hope it turns out fabulous,” Young said.