Monday, Sept. 30

Tackle the tote trend this season

The cold shoulder is nothing to give to fashion this season. Instead, throw a purse on it.

A new purse is always sure to do the trick while updating a wardrobe or adding style to a basic look.

When it comes to size, big is in, but small is not completely off the racks. However, the most important thing to pay attention to is the overall look.

If there is one rule you want to stick to this season, it’s that it’s all about the straps. Not one, but two. Retailers and designers are styling almost all purses with this multi-strap look.

The main strap of the purse mimics the classic shoulder bag. This means the strap is short and fits snuggly on your shoulder. The other strap is full in length, giving us a blast from the past.

While we are still in flashback mode, try recalling the metal chain strap. Well, it’s back.
Personally, this brings back childhood memories of playing dress-up in all of my mom’s old clothes, and I’m not sure if I’m ready for that again.

But if you are fond of this trend, you’re not alone. It’s catching on fast. These chained purses can be found at trend-setting stores such as Forever 21.

Leather is the predominant textile for all bags, but shy away from the classic black. Still stick to the neutrals, but go for creamy teals, reds and tans. All the brown shades are especially hot this season.

If you want to stand out from the crowd, try this spring’s unconventional leathers, such as metallic. This shade can give your purse some extra gloss or just create a crinkly, vintage vibe. Even top designers such as Marc Jacobs, Oscar de la Renta and Michael Kors are in on this craze.

The type of leather is not the only thing making totes to-die-for. Their accents and construction contribute, too. Leather is being tucked, folded and woven to create versatile styles on the surface.

Quilting is by far the most popular detailing. It guides the eye with diagonals and gives boring leather a unique texture. Marc Jacobs is extremely fond of this effect and incorporates it into almost all of his purses this season.

Other trendy detailing includes faux crocodile and snake prints. And that popular fringe that appeared all over boots this winter has been carried over onto purses for the spring.

Although leather is stealing the show, canvas is another fashionable choice. Just make sure it’s covered in a floral print. Opposite of the neutral leathers, go for bright hues on your canvas tote. These bags offer a feminine, casual look for any fashionable girl.

So if you want to accessorize the right way, throw a bag over your shoulder before you run out the door. Whether it’s leather or canvas, detailed or printed, you are sure to look like a natural fashionista by following one of these spring trends.