Monday, Sept. 30

The ‘undisputed king of keggers’

If you are an IU student, you know how to party – especially when Little 500 rolls around every spring. We take off our winter coats and put on our game faces, and the festivities begin.

It’s no surprise, then, that Michael Guerriero, author of “Party Across America! 101 of the Greatest Festivals, Sporting Events, and Celebrations in the U.S.,” featured Little 500 as the “undisputed king of keggers.”

When I interviewed Guerriero last week, he said he came to Little 500 back in his college days because a friend of his was from Bloomington.

Not only did he say that it was the craziest college party he had ever been to, but it was a no-brainer that this party would be in his book.

The book covers everything from Mardi Gras in New Orleans to The Testicle Festival in Clinton, Mont. Although most of the states are covered in the book, four states – North Dakota, Idaho, Connecticut and Arkansas – did not make it into the book. However, all the other states have at least one mind-blowing party.

“My goal was to get one great party from every state that everyone knew about,” Guerriero said, “and that was the Indy 500.”

Guerriero then sought out parties that went under the radar and about which many people outside of the state would not know. And for us, that was Little 500.

“It’s one of those gems that makes the book special,” he said.

Even though he hasn’t been back to Little 500 since his college years, Guerriero said from all the reports he has heard, the party is just as good as it’s ever been. And I think we can all readily agree.

Not only does Guerriero dedicate one of his 101 spots to our glorious week of drunken stupor, but he also includes traveling and hotel accommodations for potential party-goers.

From Coney Island, N.Y., where the mermaids parade the streets to San Francisco, Calif., where the Exotic Erotic Ball takes place, this book has the most outrageous and wild parties for your disposal.

And don’t worry, readers – Guerriero hasn’t stopped his partying yet. He is currently collaborating with the Travel Channel to potentially turn his book into a TV series.

He would host the show by presenting parties mentioned in his current book, while researching new parties for his second one. The show would cover parties that happen off the beaten path.

“I can see us doing an episode for Little Five because no one outside Indiana knows about that,” Guerriero said.

If you’re the ultimate partier, then this is your Bible. I would pick one up as soon as possible and start checking the parties off the list, starting with the Little 500.

And as for this week, we have a lot to live up to, but I have a feeling, we won’t let Guerriero down.