Sunday, Sept. 29

University Players to bring mother’s story to stage

Despite its provocative title, “Fucking A” does not imply explicit content, but instead intends to catch the public’s attention.

The student-run theater organization University Players is presenting the play at 8 p.m. tonight at the John Waldron Arts Center Rose Firebay. The play was written by black playwright and Pulitzer Prize recipient Suzan-Lori Parks.

She wrote the play as a riff on Nathaniel Hawthorne’s “The Scarlet Letter.” Like “The Scarlet Letter,” the main character’s name is Hester and she wears a branded “A” on her body as a symbol of who she is – an adulterer. However, in this play, the “A” stands for abortionist.

Nonetheless, this classical tragedy is not about abortion, but about the repressive world Hester is trapped in because of her destitution and occupation. Power and powerlessness as defined by gender is a reoccurring theme. Ironically, her occupation as an abortionist is in direct contrast with her character’s nobleness as a mother.

“It’s not a play about abortion,” director Bradley Wantz said. “It is really about class and gender and how those things govern our lives and oppress certain people.”

Hester takes the job as an abortionist in order to save money for a picnic with her incarcerated son. The mayor’s wife, First Lady, had her son thrown in jail, and therefore she and Hester are archenemies. The themes and action are central to the plight of a mother who longs to be reunited with her son.

Although Parks’ premiere of the show in 2000 featured Hester as a black woman, Wantz cast Mary Wittmer, a white senior, to play the role.

“I wasn’t concerned with casting certain races for certain roles, but it was about the acting being great,” he said.

Wittmer said she prepared for the role by reading heavily. She re-read “The Scarlet Letter,” “Beloved” and “Sula” by Toni Morrison, along with works by Maya Angelou.

As the leading character, Wittmer admitted there were challenges in playing a role that is completely opposite of her. Furthermore, she said the play deals with a lot of heavy issues that she has not experienced in her life.

“I have never been in a role where the character is so strong and powerful,” she said.
The Mayor, played by freshman Colton Irwin, is a major character as well.

“People can relate to his evilness because in the times we are living in, it is hard to be a good person with so much bad in the world,” he said.

Wantz said he hopes the title is shocking and the message of the play opens up dialogue about class and gender in society. Even with the tragedy and heavy topics of the play, it is entertaining, Wittmer said.

“The audience will get the most out of the play by not knowing what to expect,” Wittmer said. “There is humor, singing, intense moments and relevant issues to get their minds going after they leave the theater.”