Tuesday, Oct. 1

Dog contest to benefit Humane Society, Alzheimer’s disease

The Brookdale-Sterling House of Bloomington will put on a fundraising event for the Alzheimer’s Association and the Monroe County Humane Association on Saturday.

The event will take place from 1 to 4 p.m. at Sterling House, 3802 S. Sare Road.

For a small fee, participants can enter their dog in any of the three contests: “Most Talented Canine,” “Best Dressed Canine” and “Looks Most Like Owner.”

As an owner of four dogs and as the sales marketing manager of Sterling House, event organizer Kelli Robinette said both causes hit close to home.

“As a community that serves the elderly, we see the effects of Alzheimer’s every day,” she said. “Some of our residents are affected by it and it is pretty near and dear to our hearts. Also, I love dogs, and everyone here does as well, so I thought it would be a neat idea to expand the fundraiser a little so it benefits both causes.”

In addition to the canine contests, attendees will have the opportunity to meet the newest Bloomington Police Department K-9 officer and other adoptable dogs from the animal shelter.

During the event, the Bloomington Indiana Kennel Club will be there to put on an American Kennel Club puppy match, a dog show for puppies under one year.

There will be prizes, raffles and refreshments for sale. The prizes will be donated by London Dog, T & T Pet Food & Supply, Crystal Pure Water Company, Panera Bread, The Bark magazine and many others. 

If weather permits, Robinette said she expects a great turnout at the Sterling House’s inaugural canine contest fundraiser.

“It is for such good causes and the prizes are tremendous,” she said. “The community has been very generous and we are very appreciative that tons of people stepped up to the plate in making their donations.”