Friday, Oct. 11

Kentucky might have reason to worry

Blue is the color of choice for most basketball fans living in the bluegrass state. During the last two years, it also served as the appropriate feeling of the Kentucky faithful toward the program.

And for good reason. When Kentucky fired Billy Gillispie after just two seasons and missed the NCAA tournament in 2009, the program was in shambles. Jodie Meeks, the 54-point wonder, declared for the draft along with his bruising teammate Patrick Patterson.

That’s when former Memphis coach John Calipari packed his bags and headed north for Lexington, Ky. And in just a matter of weeks, he lifted the program from rock bottom to what some analysts classify as a Final Four contender.

“Cal,” as Calipari is commonly called, signed three five-star recruits in just more than a month. Patterson withdrew from the draft, and Meeks has still gone without hiring an agent.

A good couple of months’ work, I’d say.

With the Kentucky fans, boosters and administration feeling better than ever about their program, now comes the question of baggage.

This past week, the Memphis basketball program was hit with “major violations,” stemming from more than $2,000 provided by Memphis for travel and board for an “associate” of one member from the 2008 team. In addition, an athlete was accused of cheating on his SAT. According to the NCAA, the player was only part of the program during that season.

In other words, Chicago Bulls point guard Derrick Rose is the accused and, for all intents and purposes, guilty, party.

Now, the 38-win tally and championship game appearance in 2008 is at stake along with Cal’s reputation.

While the Rose allegation is by far the more publicized of the two sanctions, I personally think Kentucky needs to have some concern over the money issue. It’s easy to see how Cal may not have known about Rose either deciding to have someone take his test for him or somehow cheating the system.

Last time I checked, it wasn’t required of coaches to come by the test room and make sure their future star was present. Why would Rose ever bring it up to Cal, Memphis, the athletics department’s academic personnel or compliance?

But the money? How does a coach turn a blind eye to someone’s constant presence at places like the team hotel, team meals and travel venues?

On second thought, if Kelvin Sampson doesn’t know he’s on a three-way call when, according to recruits, he spoke to them and an IU assistant at the same time, it might be possible.

If Cal did know anything, it might be best to come clean now. Take a lesson from the IU situation. Sampson embarrassed one of the most honorable athletic departments in the country and the outstanding people associated with IU athletics by his continuous, farfetched denial.

By coming clean, I’m suggesting taking the blame, not admitting money was given at his will. If it were a recurrent act, why would just one instance be brought to the table by the NCAA? Cal’s Final Four run at UMass was never in jeopardy due to off-court problems, so he’s obviously got a knack for building a program clean.

If Cal decides to lie at the hearing he is now required to attend and the truth somehow surfaces, Kentucky has really got an issue on its hands. No way could the seven-time national champion and winningest program of all time keep a coach who knowingly cheated and lied, even if he can make blue chippers sign as often as Cal writes his John Hancock.

At his introductory press conference in Lexington, Cal said everyone he’s worked for knows that he is “about the school.” If that holds true, Cal spills whatever he knows relating to money or test scores at the coming hearing.

Even so, the Tubby Smith ordeal in 2007 shows it’s the court of public opinion that can really make a difference in a basketball Mecca such as Lexington.