Monday, Sept. 30

Ladies First raises $700 for cancer patient

Freshman Rachel Cerrone sings during the Ladies First Spring Concert Saturday evening at the IU Auditorium. Beginning as a class project by Ladies First member Jess Haney, the concert was held as a benefit for Carlos Vidaurri, who suffers from bone cancer.

The women’s a cappella group Ladies First had audience members on their feet and clapping along during the group’s 10th anniversary concert.

But the ladies used their concert for more than providing an entertaining a cappella performance: the group raised more than $700 for 14-year-old cancer patient and Bloomington resident Carlos Vidaurri.

Vidaurri was diagnosed with bone cancer two and half months ago and had a successful surgery last Wednesday, replacing his bone with a prosthetic.

The ladies heard about Vidaurri through their sponsor, the Indiana University Alumni Association, and decided to use their spring concert as a benefit for the Vidaurri family, sophomore Jessica Haney said.

Proceeds from ticket sales, blue wristbands sold at the concert and raffle tickets all went to the grand total. The group also had help from their past alumni. The concert included performances from returning members from each generation of the group since its founding in 1999. The first generation of Ladies First kicked off the concert with “It’s Raining Men.”

The first act showcased a variety of songs, including “Come to My Window” by Melissa Etheridge, “Breathe” by Faith Hill and “I’m Yours” by Jason Mraz.

Junior Rebecca Nottingham ended the first set with “Listen” from “Dreamgirls,” receiving a standing ovation from the crowd.

“That last song, it was unreal,” said sophomore Brooke Schnabel.

Ladies First 2004 alumna Jen Cassidy said it’s a tradition to throw shoes at the stage when a girl really rocks a solo.

“If it wasn’t for the fear of knocking out people in the rows in front of me, I probably would have thrown shoes at her,” Cassidy said. “She’s amazing.”

Cassidy said it was surreal to be back at IU performing on stage. She also said she is proud of the girls for hosting the benefit for the Vidaurri family.

“It’s completely selfless,” Cassidy said. “LF girls have always had a heart, and it shows through this show and this benefit.”

First-generation 2002 alumna Nora Colwell agreed.

“I think it’s great that they’ve kept that community connection,” Colwell said, commenting on how Ladies First has always tried to tie their events in with the community.

The second act opened with a video Haney created telling the story of the Vidaurri family.

“I started what I thought was a project and turned out to be a friendship,” Haney said.

Haney then sang the solo on the next song, “You Gotta Be” by Des’ree, which she dedicated to Carlos and the Vidaurri family.

The group also honored their one graduating senior, Amanda Nianick.

“There is one thing I secretly love ... unplanned, sporadic dance parties,” Nianick said. “Tonight, in honor of me leaving, I am expecting a dance party.”

Junior Marcie Smith then led the farewell for Nianick, thanking her for her dedication to the group.

“She taught me everything I know,” Smith said.

The show ended with all of the alumni coming on stage and singing “Don’t Know Nothing,” the first song Ladies First sang at their first performance ten years ago.

The song highlighted soloists from each generation of the group.

”It’s a culmination of everything,” Cassidy said. “It all comes full circle.”