Wednesday, Oct. 2

Summer Music Manual 2009

The economy is in shambles, so more bang-for-your-buck music festivals are the way to go for the frugal music fan. With dozens of bands and multiple stages, here's a compilation of the best fests within driving distance of Bloomington.

BONNAROO MUSIC & ARTS FESTIVAL

Started in 2002, Bonnaroo is host to several acts and a variety of music genres each June on a 700-acre farm in rural Tennessee. Not to miss is the festival’s 100-acre entertainment village with attractions ranging from an on-site cinema, arcade, beer festival and theater performers.

WHEN June 11-14
WHERE Great Stage Park, Manchester, Tenn.
COST $224.50, plus $23.10 ticket fee
DRIVING TIME 5 hours, 30 min.
ARTISTS  TO SEE Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band; Phish; Beastie Boys; Wilco; MGMT; Band of Horses; Andrew Bird; The Mars Volta; Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs; moe; Elvis Costello; Of Montreal; Public Enemy;Coheed & Cambria; The Decemberists; Lucinda Williams
More Info www.bonnaroo.com

SUMMERFEST

Eleven days, 11 stages  and 700-plus bands are the cornerstone of Milwaukee’s annual summer blowout and “the world’s largest music festival.”  Located downtown and minutes from the shore of Lake Michigan, Summerfest boasts an array of local musicians as well as a variety of multiple national headlining acts. General Admission passes are fairly inexpensive, but tickets to see the big names at Marcus Amphitheater might cost you a little more. Look for discount deals from local businesses, or get to the stages early in the day for a lawn-seat wristband to avoid paying the big bucks.

WHEN June 25 to July 5
WHERE 200 N. Harbor Drive, Milwaukee
COST $15 for an adult one-day general admission pass, $33 for three days, plus tickets to the headliners ranging from $20-$60
DRIVING TIME 6 hours
ARTISTS TO SEE  Bon Jovi, Keith Urban with guest Counting Crows, Rancid, Stevie Wonder with guest John Legend, Carolina Liar, The Fray with guest Jack’s Mannequin, No Doubt with guests Paramore and Bedouin Soundclash, Kid Rock and Lynyrd Skynyrd, Spoon, The Roots
More Info www.summerfest.com

ROTHBURY FESTIVAL

In its second year, this sustainable soiree boasts a higher purpose than solely music. Located in Rothbury, Mich., the festival vows to lower its impact on the environment and produce as little waste as possible from the four-day event. Recycling bins will abound and a variety of green energy will be used to host the 75-plus acts performing at Rothbury this year.  Free on-site camping is available and RV parking passes can be purchased, with part of your ticketing fees donated to the Grant Township Land Improvement Fund.

WHEN July 2-5
WHERE Rothbury Festival Grounds, Rothbury, Mich.
COST $249.50 plus $23 ticket fee for 4 days. $149.50 for 2 days, plus $17.50 ticket fee.
DRIVING TIME 6 hours, 20 min.
Artists  TO SEE The Dead, Bob Dylan and his Band, String Cheese Incident, G. Love and Special Sauce, Brett Dennen, Gov’t Mule, The Black Crowes, John Butler, Guster, Girl Talk, Matisyahu, Toots and the Maytals
More Info www.rothburyfestival.com

VANS WARPED TOUR

For those looking to reconnect with their former angsty, high school selves, Vans Warped Tour is still around to deliver affordable pop-punk and emo wailings to the masses. Now in its 14th year Warped  Tour offers extreme-sport spectacles and opportunities for unsigned local bands to perform. Catch Warped on the Indy leg of its tour for a mid-summer mosh.

WHEN July 7
WHERE Verizon Wireless Music Center, 12880 E. 146th St., Noblesville, Ind.
COST $31 in advance, $39 day-of
DRIVING TIME 1 hour, 45 min.
ARTISTS TO SEE 3OH!3, Anti-Flag,  Alexisonfire,  Bad Religion, Flogging Molly, Dance Gavin Dance, Less Than Jake, NOFX, Saosin, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, Senses Fail, Underoath
More Info www.warpedtour.com

PITCHFORK MUSIC FESTIVAL

This indie-lover’s paradise consists of three stages and three days with more than 40 bands and artists. Affordability and a comfortable listening experience is their promise to patrons, with three day passes at a price tag under $100 and a location in Chicago’s Union Park.

WHEN July 17-19
WHERE Union Park, Chicago
COST $35 for 1-day passes, $60 for 2 days, $75 for 3 days.
DRIVING TIME 4 hours, 15 min.
ARTISTS TO SEE Built to Spill, Yo La Tengo, The Flaming Lips, Grizzly Bear, The Walkmen, Killer Whales, The Jesus Lizard, Plants and Animals, Tortoise
More Info www.pitchforkmusicfestival.com

LOLLAPALOOZA

After a four-year hiatus and a few unsuccessful years as a tour, Lollapalooza has called Chicago’s Grant Park home since 2005 and serves as alternative music’s holy Mecca, with thousands flocking to the city every year for Jane’s Addiction frontman Perry Farrell’s annual festival.

WHEN Aug. 7-9
WHERE Grant Park, Chicago
COST $190
DRIVING TIME 4 hours
ARTISTS TO SEE Depeche Mode, Tool, The Killers, Beastie Boys, Kings of Leon, Jane’s Addiction, Lou Reed, Ben Harper & Relentless7, Snoop Dog, Rise Against, Ben Folds, Neko Case, Fleet Foxes, Vampire Weekend, Asher Roth, Kaiser Chiefs, Cold War Kids, TV on the Radio, Thievery Corporation
More Info www.lollapalooza.com