Monday, Sept. 30

Finding fabrics with breathing room

The official first day of summer is just a few days away. So instead of sweating it out in wool and thick denim, it’s time to pay close attention to the fabrics you wear.

Because you might still be in summer school, think about giving your dark-blue jeans the summer off.

For a dressier look, opt for a pair of flat-front chinos in a true khaki color – not brown, remember – or navy. Choose a nautical belt to go with it.

For a casual-but-flashy look, break out some white jeans or khakis. Make sure they’re straight and narrow but not skinny.

Also avoid any contrast-color stitching. It has a way of taking the modern look out of the pants and could make them appear slightly bulky, which makes you look hot and not in a good way.  

When it comes to fabrics this summer, there are a few I live by that I haven’t mentioned before. They’re cotton, chambray and canvas.

If you’re working this summer or have a wedding to go to, don’t get caught in anything wool. It doesn’t breathe well and will leave you sweating.

Most of the clothes you wear will be made of cotton anyway because it is “the fabric of our lives.” But please use full arrays of colors and for the sake of summer keep them lighter and brighter.  

Chambray is a smooth fabric of cotton made by weaving white or unbleached threads across a colored wrap. In other words, the lightweight fabric shirts have a denim look.

I’ve bought a few of them this summer for the first time and they’re great. Along with the main light-blue color, specks of white are still visible in the shirt.

Make sure this shirt fits your shape. If you buy it too big, you’ll look like you’re wearing a jean jacket – not cool in the summer sun.

The last thing I’ve fallen in love with this summer is canvas. To be exact, I’m checking out canvas shoes. I realize they’ve been around a while, but they’re a must-have for the summer months.

They come in pretty much any color you can imagine, and they’re the most comfortable shoes I’ve ever worn. They’re equipped with no lining and are made in a way nearly to mold to your foot. Though, I must advise you to buy a few pairs of these, as they tend to get dirty easier than most other shoes. So wear with care.

Pair them with the pants I mentioned above and you’re on your way to a smart but chic summer.