Friday, Sept. 20

Man arrested for writing fraudulent checks

A man who had written fraudulent checks for a stay at the Indiana Memorial Union was arrested May 28 while wandering around the Monroe County Justice Building. 

Joel Ligue owed the IMU $724.66 after an April stay, which he tried to pay for with bad checks and an invalid credit card. Police determined that Ligue’s bank account was in the negative, and a warrant for his arrest was issued May 27, IUPD Capt. Jerry Minger said, reading from a police report.

When Ligue’s banks could not validate the checks, an employee from the IMU called police. Officers took copies of the checks. They found the address Ligue had given when paying for his room was the Shalom Community Center. They also discovered Ligue had a pending case for check fraud.

When officers familiar with Ligue saw him inside the justice building, they checked for standing warrants and arrested him on charges of theft.

Unsafe driving leads to arrest

After pulling over a driver who had been speeding with a suspended license, Indiana University Police Department made an arrest for marijuana possession Sunday.

Austin Quick was arrested when an officer noticed a suspicious-looking bag in his vehicle. The officer had been running radar at about 10 p.m. in front of St. Paul’s Catholic Center on 17th Street when he noticed Quick driving erratically. Three traffic violations were issued along with the arrest, IUPD Capt. Jerry Minger said, reading from a police report.

The officer near the church saw Quick driving his black Chevy truck so quickly that when Quick turned onto 17th Street, he slid sideways. When the officer pulled the truck over in the church parking lot, he found Quick’s license was suspended.

After writing Quick traffic violations for speeding, unsafe movements and driving with a suspended license, Quick had to leave his vehicle because the only other person in the truck was a juvenile, and the vehicle would have to be towed. At that time, the officer noticed the bag of what turned out to be marijuana.

Quick was arrested while the juvenile was referred to probation and the parents were contacted.