Monday, Sept. 30

‘The Rockae’ brings rock edge

The Rockae

On Thursday night, “Premiere Musicals: Developing Musical Theater at Indiana University” opened its fourth consecutive workshop production.

This year was the collegiate premiere of “The Rockae,” a 1980s glam rock musical by Peter Mills.

The stage was covered in a painted floor with the image of the sun in dark gold and brownish tones.

The orchestra, which was lifted high off the ground, was covered in a sort of plastic wrap which was ripped off at the opening of the show by the three Bacchae played by sophomore Hana Slevin and seniors Lovelee Carroll and Ariel Simpson revealing the orchestra players in full costume.

The show opens with power rock song “A God Walks the Earth.”

Dionysus, played by equity actor Devin Ilaw, a former series regular on “Late Night with Conan O’Brien,” sings about why he has come to Thebes and acquaints the audience with the back story to this Greek tragedy.

Dionysus has been rejected by all of his family and town members because they believe that his mother lied about having a child with Zeus, which if true makes Dionysus a god.

Slevin said before the performance premier that the show would be fast-paced and audience interaction was bound to be had with the “breaking of the fourth wall.”

She also said the story would intrigue viewers who don’t normally like Greek plays.

Audience member Stephanie Lynge shared this opinion and said she thought the show had a lot of energy behind it.

The rest of the show follows his endeavor to gain followers and prove that he is a god. Standing in his way is Pentheus, ruler of Thebes, played by equity actor Nehal Joshi, who was a part of the original revival cast of “Les Miserables.”

“Run to the Mountain” brings the rest of the cast to the stage,  including equity actors Bridget Beirne and Gordon Stanley who plays Pentheus’ tragic mother Agave and his grandfather Cadmus. 

After Agave caves in to the will and power of Dionysus, all the women go crazy with passion and as the song title appropriates, they run to the mountain. 

IU musical theater head George Pinney choreographed the actors in a way that allowed the story to come alive for audience members.

“There was amazing talent,” Lynge said. “And the show had a lot of really great material that showcased that.”

The show comes to a halt when Agave and other women, under the influence of Dionysus, ruthlessly tear to pieces a non-believer without realizing that it was in fact her son Pentheus.

The finale brings forth all the characters to tell the audience that “there is no moral to be learned here.”

“I really hope they can continue working on this,” Lynge said. “I really think that this show has a future.”

“The Rockae” plays in the Wells-Metz Theater at 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday with a matinee performance at 2 p.m. Sunday.