Monday, Sept. 30

As fall nears, pumpkin season is here

A garden of glass glittered on the courthouse lawn Saturday and Sunday during the fourth-annual glass pumpkin patch.

Graduate student Jeremy Sweet managed the event, which showcased the colorful creations of Blind Dog Glass. California artist David Camner founded Blind Dog Glass as a fundraiser for his own art projects.

“He doesn’t make pumpkins exclusively,” Sweet said. “He makes other large, expensive pieces that take a lot of material costs and time.”

Sweet said he became involved after seeing photos of a similar event.

“I liked the idea of the pumpkin patch,” Sweet said. “It seemed like a cool event.”

After the pumpkins were shipped from the artists at Blind Dog Glass, Sweet rented trailers to bring them to the event from storage. Each pumpkin was unloaded individually and arranged in a display similar to a real pumpkin patch.

Fine arts students Luke Kroh, Evan Mannweiler and Julian Hensarling were hired to help run the pumpkin patch.

“What’s not to like about putting out glass pumpkins and sitting outside and enjoying yourself?” recent IU graduate Hensarling said.

Chicago resident Brian Keigher came to Bloomington for Lotus Festival and said he discovered the glass pumpkins amid the music.

“This is great,” Keigher said. “I was just complimenting how much other stuff there is involved with Lotus.”

After the costs are paid for, 15 percent of the sales go to those who worked the event, and the rest goes to the artists to help pay the bills for the
glass shop.

“It’s so that they can keep making art,” Sweet said.

A portion of the proceeds also helps fund community art projects, such as the Children’s Museum Guild’s Halloween event at the Indianapolis Children’s Museum.
Despite the work involved, Sweet said he personally does not make much money from the pumpkins.

“It’s more of an experience,” Sweet said. “Everybody just wanders. They enjoy picking them up, holding them. The kids love to just see the colors and a lot of people are taking photos, so I see it as a positive thing outside of the money-making endeavor. It’s a good-vibe event.”