Monday, Sept. 30

At Buskirk, Sundays are golden

The average moviegoer could spend upward of $8 for this weekend’s box office hit.

However, in downtown Bloomington, a historic theater takes audiences back to the Golden Age for only $2.

For this price, audiences can view classic movies at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater. The showtime is 3 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 13 and will continue every second Sunday of the month until Dec. 13.

The first film will be a psychological western, “The Furies.”

The goal of the film series is to bring back the Sunday matinee for families and classic movie buffs.

“It’s super inexpensive and just something to do on a Sunday afternoon,” said Julie Ramey, who works for community relations for Bloomington Parks and Recreation.

The event is sponsored by Bloomington Parks and Recreation and the Bloomington Community Arts Commission.

Miah Michaelsen, assistant economic developer for the arts, said she hoped the movie series will regain interest in old movie-going practices.

“At one point, downtown had several movie theaters,” Michaelsen said. “It’s a good way to bring back theater, showing movies at a time and a place where it’s meant to be shown.”

The collaborative event also involves the Department of Communication and Culture. Professor Chris Anderson decides which movies are played.

“It’s an opportunity to do two things,” Ramey said. “Go back to the Golden Age of cinema and visit a historic theater.”

Built in 1922 as a vaudeville and movie house, the now-restored building sets a background for people who want to travel back to those times. The theater has housed the films since 2005.

“It’s an experience to see how it was originally meant to be shown,” Michaelsen said. “The communal experience of viewing cinema and art is so critical. It’s an experience every one should have.”