Monday, Sept. 30

Brewing Company presents Hillbilly music festival

Bloomington’s own brewery, Upland Brewing Company, presents more than beer this Saturday with an afternoon of music and local artist exhibitions.

According to Upland’s Web site, the second-annual Hillbilly Haiku Americana Music Festival will feature live Americana music by Backyard Tire Fire, Sara Petite, Merrie Sloan and Toby Purnell of Crooked County, Reverend Peyton’s Big Damn Band, Better Bidness Bureau and Fatted Calf Stringband.

The festival is 4 to 11 p.m. Saturday at Upland Brewing Company. Tickets are $20 and can be purchased at the Upland Tap Room, Bloomingfoods stores and from the Buskirk-Chumley Theater ticket office  at 812-323-3020 or www.buskirkchumley.org. On the day of the show tickets are $25. Children under 12 are admitted free.

Charles Stanley, Upland’s marketing operations manager, is helping with the festival for the first time. He said last year was the first year for the event, and its success inspired making it an annual affair.

Stanley said to expect live music from several different bands on the brewery grounds. Upland beer and food will be available as well.

“We have a bunch of straw bales for people to sit on, but people are also welcome to bring their own lawn chairs with them,” he said.

Emily Banta, a Bloomington resident, said she plans to attend the festival for the first time. Banta said she is looking forward to the event.

“I just moved to Bloomington, and one of the things I’m falling in love with are the festivals and gatherings just like these that the city offers,” Banta said.

All the proceeds from the event, including admission, beer and food, will go to the Sycamore Land Trust, whose mission is to preserve the disappearing landscape of southern Indiana.

According to its Web site, the Trust’s efforts benefit wildlife and scenery as well as provide areas for the public to use for education and enjoyment. The trust protects more than 5,500 acres in southern Indiana and has planted more than 54,700 trees.

“Aside from the fact that it’s for a very good cause, it’s a lot of fun,” he said. “Good music, good food and good beer.”

Last year, the festival raised $5,000. Stanley said the goal for the event is to raise $10,000 every year and become a permanent funding source for the Trust.

He also said he hopes the festival will attract musicians from all around, as well as becoming a signature music event for Bloomington and something local people can enjoy.

“I’m looking forward to meeting new people, sitting out under the stars, listening to music and just enjoying life for a while,” Banta said.