Tuesday, Oct. 1

CAPS gears seminars toward all students

With a broader mission in mind, Counseling and Psychological Services will make an effort to reach out to every student, Tim Davis, a CAPS psychologist said.

CAPS will launch its second year of Student Success Seminars from noon to 1 p.m. Thursdays. They will focus on what Davis said he thinks are the eight foundations of student success, such as successful relationships, receiving higher grades and career planning.

The sessions are open to everyone and CAPS will provide free Mother Bear’s Pizza.

“We want to think of all 40,000 IU students as our clients, not just the ones who come to counseling,” Davis said.

While CAPS aims to help as many students as they can, Davis said he hopes students show up that need help in being successful, such as undergraduate students with lower grade-point averages.

He said the organization’s new mission is to help every student, not only the ones that come to get counseling advice but the ones who need help and won’t ask.

Davis said he is happy that this year’s seminars will be located on the first floor of the Herman B Wells Library.

CAPS also organizes other seminars, including “Coping Skills for College Students,” presented from 3:15 to 4:45 p.m. on the first four Mondays of each month and “The Life Skills Series,” presented from 4 to 5 p.m. on the first three Thursdays of each month.

“Students are pretty focused on their academic lives,” Davis said. “While that’s important, we want to get them thinking about the rest of their lives, to get them thinking more of what it means to be truly successful.”