Sunday, Sept. 29

Council for Community Accessibility accepting award nominations

The City of Bloomington’s Council for Community Accessibility is currently accepting nominations for their annual awards.

“The city gives this every year to award businesses, individuals and organizations that have helped improve the community and made the city more accessible for people with disabilities,” City of Bloomington Communications Director Danny Lopez said.

He said the council is a group that specifically promotes and advocates for the awareness among people without disabilities, and recognition is one way to help them achieve that goal.

“The CCA is a group composed of volunteers, and they help Bloomington understand some of the issues that people with disabilities have to face,” said Craig Brenner, special projects coordinator for Community and Family Resources.

He said one of the group’s primary roles is to educate.

“They act as an educational group to help educate the city government and citizens of Bloomington.”

More information

• Nominations must be received by Friday, Oct. 2.
  • Nomination forms are available online at www.bloomington.in.gov/cfrd, or visit the Community and Family Resources Department in City Hall, 401 N. Morton St., Suite 260.
  • For more info, contact Craig Brenner at brennerc@bloomington.in.gov or by phone at 812-349-3471.

Bloomington Community Accessibility awards

Kristin Willison Volunteer Service Award
Given to a volunteer who spends time helping facilitate any type of accessibility.

Business Service Award
Recognizes a business in the community that employs people with disabilities or has easily accessible buildings, parking and services that exceed minimum requirements.

Professional and Community Service Award

Recognizes an organization, human service or other professional that makes extreme effort on behalf of people with disabilities or their families in various areas.

Self Advocacy Award

Recognizes a person with a disability who uses their resources efficiently, works towards independent living and encourages others to do the same.

Housing Service Award

Recognizes a landlord, realtor or builder who helps improve the housing of disabled individuals by making it easily accessible or by locating easily accessible housing near mainstream life.

Mayor’s Award

Recognizes an individual, business or organization that has worked in the past to better the community for disabled people.