Monday, Sept. 30

'Inherit the Wind' jumpstarts 'Themester' on Evolution, Diversity and Change

This year marks Charles Darwin’s 200th birthday as well as the 150th anniversary of his publication “On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection."

The College of Arts & Sciences is celebrating  by having a “Themester” or themed semester focusing on evolution, diversity and change.   

In response to this, The Cardinal Stage Company will be producing “Inherit the Wind,” a fictional play portraying the famous 1925 Scopes Trial, which focused on the controversy between religion and Darwin’s theory of evolution. 

John T. Scopes, a public high school teacher from Dayton, Tenn., purposely taught his class the theory of evolution. It was decided that Scopes was breaking the Butler Act, a 1925 Tennessee law prohibiting public school teachers from denying the Biblical account of mankind’s origin. 

“The idea of evolution or simply, the right to think and speak freely in America is what makes this play such a hot topic,” said the show’s director Randy White. 

The play will jumpstart the College's Themester at 7:30 p.m. Friday in the Waldron Arts Center Auditorium with performances running through Sept. 20.  

Ticket prices are $12 for children, $15 for students and $24.50 for adults. Interested patrons should visit www.cardinalstage.org for ticket information and show times.