Friday, Oct. 11

IU men’s rugby opens against Purdue

Nearly 100 IU rugby alumni, dating back from the inaugural 1962 season, will come into town this weekend.  

The IU mens rugby team will begin its alumni weekend with the start of its 47th season Saturday in its contest against Purdue. The first game will begin at noon on the fields on North Fee Lane, just north of Assembly Hall.  

Purdue and IU alumni will also compete in a scrimmage afterward.

Junior fullback Sam Enari encourages students to come out to the game this week for more than just the Purdue rivalry.  

“It’s a really fast-paced and full-contact game,” he said. “If you don’t understand it, there will be plenty of people to explain it to you.”

In the past, the rugby team has had good size crowds for the games.

Senior scrum half Jeff Johnson said they usually have between 40 and 50 people at each contest.  

The game of rugby has been referred to as the father of American football and is played in two 40-minute halves with 15 members of each team on the field at a time.  

Last season, the team lost in the Midwest Area Rugby Football Union final four of the Collegiate Division I Championships. This year IU rugby coach Tom Phillips said he expects them to go even further and hopefully reach the finals.  

In order to make a deep run in this year’s tournament, Phillips said his team needs to rely on its great speed and strong forwards.

IU mens rugby is currently made up of 31 freshmen and 26 returning members. Three players are listed as injured. Phillips said he believes the Hoosiers have really picked up where they left off, but also added that there is room for improvement and new
players.  

“We encourage everyone to come check it out,” he said. “Anyone that is interested in playing rugby should contact the club.”