Thursday, Oct. 10

IU rowers shove off in Regatta

Rowing

The rowing team embarked on their 10th varsity season, beginning their fall schedule Saturday at the Lemonhead Regatta.

Held at Lake Lemon, the regatta originally functioned as an intra-squad scrimmage for the Hoosiers, with other non-collegiate teams also racing.

However, the University of Louisville came on short notice to compete. Coach Steve Peterson said he found out on Friday that the Cardinals would be entering the regatta.

Naturally surprised to hear that Louisville would be racing, Peterson was grateful that they came. Having an opponent to match up with proved advantageous for the Hoosiers.

“It pushes us even more,” sophomore co-captain Taylor Smith said.

In the meet, Louisville and IU only directly competed in the four-rower races, with Louisville winning four of the seven heats.

Despite the defeat, the Hoosiers main focus seemed to be gaining experience for what Peterson called a young team.

Senior co-captain Emily Kasavana said that it wasn’t about the results of the race so much as it was about dealing with psychological aspects of racing.

Peterson echoed Kasavana’s observation and said it was important for the team to develop a trust in their training and abilities.

“We definitely needed to come in with a little more attitude,” Peterson said. He also credited a lack of prior work with the “fours” races this season, as well as misjudged lineups as part of their lack of success.

Nonetheless, Peterson and the team are not disappointed in their efforts.

Pointing out that they had the keys to succeed, Peterson said his Hoosiers had done the work and just need to develop the right frame of mind when competing.

To do that, the Hoosiers need to get comfortable with themselves, something that will take time. Luckily, with a season that culminates in May, the Hoosiers have plenty of it.

“As they continue to train, especially as hard as they are, the confidence will come,” Peterson said.