Monday, Sept. 30

Margot & the Nuclear So and So's bids fans ultimate farewell

Margot & The Nuclear So and So's

Outside on the box office door of the Buskirk-Chumley Theater, a sign hung saying the Margot & the Nuclear So and So’s concert had sold out.

Inside, a crowd of fans formed near the stage for what would be their last performance with the current members.

On Aug. 31, the band posted on their MySpace that the Bloomington show would be their last.

“I read it on their MySpace it was their last show,” Indianapolis resident Cameron Norris said. “I had to come see it.”

However, in an e-mail, Margot’s lead vocalist, Richard Edwards, said fans should expect a change in roster but not in sound.

“I’m still going to be writing the songs, it’ll just be some different people on certain instruments,” Edwards said in the e-mail. “Some of the new soldiers played some things on ‘Animal!’ so they’re not completely unfamiliar to the Margot world.”

The concert began with opening acts Super Desserts and Marmoset.

By the time Margot took the stage, the crowd had spilled into the aisles.

“Their songs are extremely lush musically and lyrically, which draws in fans of all genres of music, not just pop-rock fans or indie rock devotees,” said Dan Coleman, show promoter from Spirit of ’68 Promotions.

Edwards told the Bloomington crowd that they were attentive and enthusiastic. He also said fans can expect a new release in April and gave them a listen to a new song, which he performed solo as the rest of the band took a break offstage.

“We’ve recorded about a third of the new record and, so far, it sounds like a mix of old and new Margot,” Edwards said in an e-mail. “I’m quite excited about it.”

The band also invited Super Desserts and Marmoset to return to the stage and help play their final songs. 

The overall uproar of applause after the Margot’s encore proved the band’s following is strong.

Fans said they hope the change in band members will be positive.

Norris said he expects a change, but not one that will be bad, and Edwards reassured his fans not to worry.

“As long as I’m making music, there will probably be Margot & the Nuclear So and So’s,” he said.