Monday, Sept. 30

Pride and performance

For many years, IU has boasted a reputation as one of the nation’s premier research universities.

Throw in its nationally high-ranked business, music and journalism programs, and it’s no wonder Hoosiers hold their heads up high.

But IU also provides students with breakthrough experiences not seen in the classroom.

Imagine being led through a forest at night. Every sense is heightened. Each movement of wind or snap of a twig makes you jump. The shadows of vampires standing motionless line the trees. When you arrive at your destination, your emotions are stimulated with fear.

This haunting experience is what the Department of Theatre and Drama’s “The Vampire Trilogy” offered audience members. A silent trek through the woods near Sample Gates before the show elevated audience members’ responses to the chilling prospect of vampires on campus.

In short, “The Vampire Trilogy” gave audience members a memorable performance.
Another show dedicated to offering students a unique experience is “Doctor Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog.” Director and IU student Josh Cohen said this show will combine elements of film and theater for what is sure to be an entertaining and groundbreaking performance.

The Department of Theatre and Drama’s 2009-10 season will also provide edgy, fresh performances.

From the musical drama “Blood Brothers” to the romantic comedy “The Clean House,” the Lee Norvelle Theatre and Drama Center’s lineup will make patrons cry, laugh and sit on the edge of their seats.

These innovative shows offer theatergoers new experiences with fresh outlooks on their topics.

The performing arts have always been cutting-edge. Be it controversial topics such as race and drugs or avant-garde plays and musical comedies, the arts allow us to express creativity in different and experimental ways.

IU shows strive to give audiences a nontraditional theater experience.  

Each year, I am astounded at the edginess and the freshness the theater department provides for the community.

Whether it’s a walk through the woods or an edgier outlook on family ties, IU’s performing arts programs give students even more reason to be proud of being a Hoosier.