Monday, Sept. 30

Robin Williams to perform at IU Auditorium

ENTER AGASSI 10 ABA

For many students, including freshman Emily Levin and junior Bryan Lanning, Robin Williams was part of their childhood, watching films such as “Jumanji,” “Patch Adams” and “Aladdin.”

Robin Williams has been an American entertainment icon for as long as many IU students can remember, and at 8 p.m. today, residents can see him perform live at the IU Auditorium.

“It’s pretty exciting for everyone,” Auditorium Director Doug Booher said.

He saw Williams live on the set of the Late Show with David Letterman.

“It was a pretty remarkable experience,” he said.

Booher specifically pointed out Williams’s “incredible, endless energy.”

“That’s never compromised. It’s not like he has good nights and bad nights,” he said, describing Williams as a “really compelling artist.”

Both on the stage and in films, Williams has worked as an actor, stand-up and improvisational comedian, director, writer, producer and singer on more than 100 projects since the 1970s.

“His comedy appeals to people of all generations,” Booher said.

He said that Williams often tailors his show for each audience.

“He likes to understand what the local culture is,” Booher said. “Every night for Robin is different, unique and crafted just for that audience.”

While many people have been turned away at the box office, Booher said some seats, which were reserved for technical safety reasons, will be released as late as today and people wanting tickets should check Ticketmaster or call or stop by the box office.

Williams was originally scheduled to perform at the auditorium last spring, but was forced to cancel a large portion of his tour to have heart surgery in March.

“When you have heart surgery, you kind of go, ‘Breath – yes!’” the 58-year-old comic joked on Jimmy Kimmel Live afterward.

Doctors performed a valve replacement, so Williams now has a bovine valve. “I can’t eat meat now, because all of a sudden, I go to eat meat, it’s going ‘you’re one of us now,’” he said on the show.

Booher said he is confident Williams’ performance will leave a lasting impression on those who attend today’s show.

“People will remember it for the rest of their lives,” he said. “He’s that strong and compelling of a performer.”