Sunday, Sept. 29

Short-film festival coming to the Whittenberger

“One world. One Week. One Festival.”

Posters for the 12th annual Manhattan Short Film Festival are all over campus this week.

Presented as part of the Indiana Memorial Union’s weekly film series, the festival aims to unite people from all across the globe for one week through a series of ten short films. This marks the first year the festival will take place in at least one location in all 50 states.

“It’s basically this initiative to connect the world for one week for a film festival,” said Audree Notoras, Union Board films director. 

The festival began 12 years ago when founding director Nicholas Mason decided to mount a screen on the side of a truck in downtown Manhattan. From there, Mason said the festival took on a life of its own.

“On Sept. 23, 2001, that was 12 days after 9/11, the city asked us to put the festival on,” Mason said. “The park became like a shrine; people were lighting candles in remembrance and we wanted to help wash it out.”

The following year, films began to flow in from countries all over the world and more and more locations began to screen the festival.

Mason said what started as one screening in the boroughs of New York City is now showcased at 532 screenings in 173 cities on five continents across the world.

The films this year represent filmmakers from nine separate countries with a variety of topics, ranging from Israeli and Palestinian relations in “Lashabiya” to a woman who can sculpt her own appearance in “Plastic.”

Each film gives insight on what is going on in the world, Mason said.

“It’s educational and entertaining,” Notoras said. “It’s going to introduce students to a different type of film you can’t get in town.”

In previous years, films from the Manhattan Short have been nominated for multiple awards, including Oscars, but this year the viewers will have a chance to vote for which one they think is the best.

After each screening, viewers will be asked to vote for their favorite, said Wynne Strugatch, Union Board assistant director for the films committee.

The votes will be sent to Manhattan Short Headquarters, which will announce the winner Tuesday in NYC.

Mason said he hopes to expand the festival even more in the next few years, with a venue in Africa and even Antarctica coming soon. 

“I just want to make sure it keeps going,” Mason said. “I don’t think I can stop it anymore.”