Monday, Sept. 30

‘Talley’s Folly’ romance play celebrates 30 years of BPP

The Bloomington Playwrights Project opened its production of “Talley’s Folly” Thursday night, celebrating BPP’s 30th anniversary.

The love story follows two characters named Matt Friedman and Sally Talley, played by Bloomington residents Lee Parker and Emily Goodson.

“The play still really holds up because of war and alienation and how it’s connected to today,” student Margot Morgan said. “I couldn’t tell it was written 30 years ago.”
Parker said the show was about having the right to share your feelings.

Director Tom Evans agreed and told the audience it was OK “to laugh out loud … to not hold it in.”

The story takes place on one set: a boathouse just a little distance away from Sally’s home. The boathouse is broken down and discolored and even has a real, full-size boat in the middle. Trees line the background of the house and leaves on the floor in front give the illusion of a river in front.

“Everything seemed very cohesive,” alumna Erin Sullivan said. “The set, costumes, acting and everything just came together perfectly.”

During Matt’s opening monologue he explains that he plans to get Sally back into his life tonight and “if everything goes right, it will be like a waltz: one, two, three; one, two, three.”

The rest of the show is mostly made up of a series of arguments between Sally and Matt, each one bringing them closer together.

In between the quick, witty banter are some very serious moments that discuss religious prejudice, war and the fear that after WWII the world will spin into an economic depression.

Matt’s character tells Sally that “people have a Humpty-Dumpty complex” and are scared to show their feelings in case they might crack open.

Matt has a chilling monologue explaining to Sally what happened to his family back in Europe during WWI that brought the audience to complete silence. Bringing light to audience members’ things that happened in WWI that people didn’t think about before.

Nick Moore, a local playwright who frequently writes for BPP, said he found the show’s breezy nature comparable to one 80-minute scene.

“It just flew by,” he said. “And it was charmingly romantic.”

For actress Goodson, the show was a love story that “reaches at all of your emotional strings.”

“It felt so fresh,” Morgan said. “It’s a great play that will stand the test of time, and this one definitely does.”

“Talley’s Folly” is playing at 8 p.m.  Sept.  5, 10 and 11 with a 3 p.m. matinee on Sept. 6. All performances are at BPP, located at Ninth and Walnut streets.

Tickets are available at the Buskirk-Chumley Box Office for $25.