Friday, Oct. 11

Team to tee off at Fighting Ilini Invitational in Olympia Fields

This week’s Fighting Illini Invitational at Olympia Fields Country Club in Olympia Fields, Ill., will test the IU men’s golf team in more ways than one. 

The field consists of seven of the top-10 teams in the nation and the Hoosiers will be taking a lineup consisting of two sophomores and two freshman to go along with senior Alex Martin.

Despite the obstacles, Olympia Fields has been a home away from home for the Hoosiers the past two seasons.

In 2007, IU finished third as a team and 2009 graduate Jorge Campillo was the runner-up individually.

Last fall, the Hoosiers took the top-10 and 12 of the top-30 programs in the country, according to Golfweek.

“We know what we are going up against, but we look at it as an opportunity to see where we stack up against the best,” IU coach Mike Mayer said. “We have stacked up very well against the best the last two years and we will take that confidence into the event with three of the five players back from last year’s team.”

The defending champion, Martin, will look for a similar result this weekend, and said one of the advantages IU has is its familiarity with the course.

“With such a strong field, last year’s tournament, it really help set the tone for the season,” Martin said.  “I think one of the reasons we play so well there is we have a lot of guys from the Midwest and the course is a very Midwestern tree-lined type course.”

Sophomores David Erdy and Chase Wright will try to carry last week’s success at the Wolf Run Intercollegiate into the Invitational.

Erdy’s final-round 65 helped jump the team four spots into third place and moved him from 17th individually into fourth place at Wolf Run.

Wright said his ninth-place finish at Wolf Run will give him some confidence going into the Invitational, where he finished in 39th place last fall.

“I got off to bad starts in the first and third rounds (at Wolf Run) but was able to grind it out,” Wright said. “Last year (the Fighting Illini Invitational) was my first tournament, and I played pretty solid, but I feel I will be a little more comfortable this year.”

Rounding out the Hoosiers lineup this weekend will be a pair of freshman, Michael McGee and Brant Peaper.

McGee finished 47th last week at Wolf Run and will be playing in the four spot for the Hoosiers.

The Floridian, Peaper, will be making his collegiate debut at Olympia Fields.
The Fighting Illini Invitational will begin Friday with three straight days of 18 holes being played each day. Live stats for the tournament can be found at Golfstat.com.

“We want to give people a chance to prove themselves, and Brant’s played well and has earned it,” Mayer said.