Monday, Sept. 30

Umphrey’s McGee draws dedicated, devoted fanbase

Umphrey’s McGee will be back home again in Indiana on Thursday, marking the latest of many Bloomington appearances throughout the years, and for several fans, yet another tally for the number of live Umphrey’s shows seen in a lifetime.

Umphrey’s brings its eclectic sound to a fan base that’s been growing steadily since the band formed at Notre Dame more than 10 years ago.

Union Board Concerts Director Caitlyn Kuhs said the show promoter Jam Productions contacted the Union Board about having the concert at IU.

“There’s a pretty good fan base here in town, too, so we knew it would be a good show to have,” Kuhs said.

The six-piece jam band is now based in Chicago – and is making the stop at IU as part of its country-wide fall tour, which also includes performances at several fall festivals.

Known for their intricate progressive rock arrangements with influences from multiple music genres, Umphrey’s McGee has gained a reputation for putting on energetic shows.

Sophomore Jordan Lipshutz said he enjoys the band’s range of musical styles during its live performances.

With influences from genres such as heavy metal, disco and classical arrangements, Lipshutz said the music from their concerts is what draws fans in.

“They just have this energy that’s just amazing,” he said. “They’re a really captivating band.”

He said that the lighting enhances the show and is some of the best seen in live performances.

Ivy Tech freshman Chad Charleston said he’s made friends from across the country during Umphrey’s shows. He has followed the band on tour and has been to at least 30 performances since his first show in 2005, which was also at the IU Auditorium.

“They’re such a multi-genre kind of band,” he said. “There’s all these different types of fans that come together.”

Umphrey’s McGee has also performed at the Bluebird Nightclub and the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.

“They love a Bloomington crowd,” Lipshutz said. “I expect the band to be really excited about this show.”

Umphrey’s McGee
WHEN 8 p.m. Thursday
WHERE IU Auditorium
MORE INFO Tickets are $25.50 and doors open at 7 p.m.