Monday, Sept. 30

We the Living brings meaningful lyrics

The famed indie band, We the Living, will perform in Bloomington at 8 p.m. Wednesday at the Hoosier Den in Foster Residence Center.

Named “the band to love” on celebrity gossip Web site, PerezHilton.com, We the Living gained recognition from MTV, VH1 and E! since forming in 2007, said the band’s publicist Nora Silver.

“Being associated with MTV definitely puts you up there and will no doubt bring more attention to them in Bloomington,” senior Jamie Enright said.

While some students celebrate We the Living’s harmonious sounds, others said what truly sets this indie band apart from is the rest is its lyrics.

Junior Karen Michelson said most popular songs tend to be frivolous, yet We the Living has lyrics that hold meaning and show depth to their music.

“We wanted to have the music be based on philosophy and literature; there’s a lot of references to Greek myths, novels and painters,” said band member John Paul Roney, who writes and sings the band’s songs.

The band, which also includes members Matt Holmen on guitar and Benjamin Schaefer on drums, is based in Nashville, Tenn. and works with management firm, Red Light Management, which has an office and studio in Nashville.

The band has traveled across the country instilling a love of their music in their audience’s ears, but this will be their first performance in Bloomington.

“We really hope people will come out and give us a chance, and if they love the music then we’re really looking forward to being able to come back and play,” Roney said.

Enright said she heard of We the Living from a friend and added she was not expecting anything great but upon hearing their music, thought they sounded awesome and became excited about this band.

“They’re kind of a mix of bands I already listen to, so I was excited about all their music,” she said.