Friday, Oct. 11

Women's golf finishes in seventh at invitational

The IU women’s golf team finished in seventh place at the Lady Northern Invitational at University Ridge Golf Course in Madison, Wisc., on Monday.

The Hoosiers were forced to finish today’s second round as well as the third round on Monday because of thunderstorms that hit the Madison area on Sunday evening.  The weather conditions played in a critical role in the tournament with the Hoosiers third round score of 311 being their highest of the year.

The first round on Sunday was delayed 30 minutes due to a fog delay and the second round was suspended for that evening at 6:15 because of storms in the area along with standing water on the greens.

“The weather was very challenging, and we didn’t handle the elements as well we could have,” IU coach Clint Wallman said. “When you get to this level, it’s the mental and emotional things that we need to do better.”

Senior Laura Nochta was the top finisher for the Hoosiers for the second straight week, finishing in a tie for 18th place individually with a three total of 225.

Seniors Kellye Belcher and Anita Gahir were next for the Hoosiers with 34th and 44th places, respectively.

Freshman Pamela Burneski was the low for the Hoosiers in the first round with a 74 but closed with 77 and 82 to tie for 52nd place. Junior Cecilia Orevik also finished in 52nd place with a three-round total of 237.

Freshman Kate Coons, playing as individual, rounded out the Hoosier contingent with a 46th place finish in her collegiate debut. Coons’ final-round 75 was the low round of the day for the Hoosiers.

“Kate got better each round and we know she is going to be a great player for us,” Wallman said. “Being her first tournament we knew she was going to be nervous but she did a great job today (final round) on making fewer mistakes.”

The field included all 11 teams from the Big Ten Conference and the Hoosiers currently are in sixth place among Big Ten schools. University Ridge Golf Course will have the 2010 Big Ten Championship in April.