Monday, Sept. 30

Beatles tribute band to play homecoming concert

Rain The Beatles Experience

The Beatles have released a total of 12 studio albums, 22 singles and 13 EPs. They have been separated since 1970, but die-hard fans and new listeners alike should prepare to feel nostalgic from hearing one the band’s first hits, "Love Me Do," to the later "Let It Be."

Rain: A Tribute To The Beatles will play for part of a national tour Thursday and Friday at the IU auditorium. The concert is open for all ages, in time for IU’s Homecoming weekend, and will add to the festive atmosphere in Bloomington.

Doug Booher, director for IU auditorium, said Dick Clark recruited members for Rain through the Beatlemania Broadway show. The group appeared on the Ed Sullivan show in 1964 and has remained one of the most prevalent Beatles tribute bands since then.

"It’s going to be a huge concert," Booher said. "They’re taking people all the way from the Ed Sullivan days of their music to Abbey Road. What people will see is a replica of The Beatles concerts."

Dr. Glenn Gass, IU professor of music, said Beatles tribute bands, as well as other imitators for artists like Elvis and Led Zeppelin, have been around for a while. Gass specializes in the history of rock and roll and teaches a class specifically on Beatles music.

"I think you have to be really, really famous to have that kind of following of tribute bands," Gass said. "Your style has to be so well known that people can connect to it through an imitator or tribute band."