Monday, Sept. 30

Bobcat meets brewery

Beer, bobcats and bluegrass will all converge at Upland Brewery on Saturday.

Upland Brewing Co., the largest microbrewery in Indiana, is organizing SchwartzTag, an all-day celebration commemorate the release of its German-style lager.

“It’s the release of our German-style Schwarzbier,” head brewer Caleb Staton said. “It’s a really light, easy-drinking beer that’s not real strong, but it is pitch-black.”

Listed as one of its seasonal beers, Upland’s Web site describes its Schwarz lager as “perfect for the fall season, with hints of chocolate and coffee from the black malt.”

Though it’s been around for a few years, this will be the first time the beer will be released in a bottle, Marketing Operations Manager Charles Stanley said. Schwarz is typically released in October and only sold at Upland through early December. 

The event also benefits the Exotic Feline Rescue Center, located in Centerpoint, Ind.
The suggested $5 cover and $1 of every pint of Schwarz sold will go to the center, Stanley said.

According to its Web site, the Exotic Feline Rescue Center is one of the largest rescue centers in the country for abused felines. The mission of the center is to provide suitable homes, care and stable social needs for the neglected felines. 

Customers can meet Rocky the bobcat from 3 to 7 p.m. while they sample Upland’s newest beer, Stanley said. 

“They’ll be bringing the bobcat so people can see what it is they’re helping to take care of,” he said.

Starting at 8 p.m., Indianapolis-based Jascha and local band The New Old Cavalry will also be at Upland to perform a mix of folk rock, country and contemporary bluegrass songs. 

Staton said the event itself begins at 11 a.m. Saturday and is expected to last until 1 a.m. Sunday.

“It supports a good cause, and a lot of people say Schwarz is their favorite beer all year long,” Stanley said. “It’s just generally going to be a good time with good music, good beer and a bobcat.”