Monday, Sept. 30

Catwalk to Sidewalk

It is occasionally upsetting that just because I’m not Lady Gaga, it’s unacceptable for me to wear an Alexander McQueen futuristic masterpiece to meet with my textiles professor.

While a straight off the runway ensemble may not jive with the scenery in Ballentine Hall, haute couture elements can be borrowed to update a wardrobe without looking like an extra from a Cirque Du Soleil show.

The eccentric 1980s have made a comeback on many designers’ fall runways this season. Fashion house Chloe had several models in high-wasted pantsuits and billowing camel coats.

To update the look of power dressing to a more wearable trend, try a high - wasted trouser with a wider leg. Keep your top fitted and tuck it in to make it sleek, instead of looking like you were digging in the cast of “Dynasty’s” wardrobe closet.

Designer Cynthia Rowley kept up with the ‘80s theme by putting her models in tiered ruffles and silk blouses in dark sparkly tones. Dress down the dark sparkle by leaving out the jewelry and wearing something neutral along with it. When all else fails, don’t be afraid to show some skin. Flesh tones are always neutral and keep outfits from looking over done.

Fashion house Miu Miu showcased the fall trend of ornamental pieces including beaded skirts, tops and accessories. Pair them with solids and neutrals for a toned down look, and stick to just one embellished item at a time.

If you are a little shyer in your fashion choices, embellished ballet flats are effortlessly chic and tame enough for class.

Hardware such as biker gear and leather accents was big at fall fashion shows. Fashion establishment Balmain showed off leather jackets complete with plenty of grommets and zippers. To soften the look, pair a tough piece with wan ultra girly one, like a floral dress with lace accents.

Rodarte displayed a line of thigh - high stiletto boots fierce enough to make a dominatrix shudder. To keep them trendy instead of taboo, go for a flat boot that hits just slightly over the knee.

The key to making what is on the runway wearable is to pick your favorite trend and make it your own. Make sure you wear the clothes, instead of letting the clothes wear you.

Tone down anything that seems like a costume, and always pair it with a fierce attitude.