Friday, Oct. 11

Classic ends in 10th-place finish for team

The IU men’s golf team wrapped up play at the Windon Memorial Classic in Glencoe, Ill., on Tuesday with a final round of 295 and a 10th-place finish.

The Hoosiers struggled in the first round Monday morning, shooting a 308, which put them in 11th place. Play was suspended due to darkness during the second round Monday evening with the Hoosiers still on the course and working toward the completion of their second round.

IU finished its second round Tuesday morning and improved by 13 shots with a team score of 295.  

Sophomores Chase Wright and David Erdy each bettered their opening round scores in the second round by seven and eight shots, respectively.

“We have been getting off to bad starts all fall and we did it again this week,” IU coach Mike Mayer said. “We competed better today and played with more courage and tenacity, but it is hard to make up ground against these fields.”

Erdy continued his hot play in the afternoon by shooting an even par 70 to finish in 20th place, individually.

“I just tried to remind myself in the second and third rounds to stay patient,” Erdy said, “because I hadn’t really been hitting it that well, but I felt pretty good with my putter.”

Freshman Corey Ziedonis placed 47th as each of his three scores counted towards IU’s team score.

“It was nice to see some contributions out of Corey Ziedonis,” Mayer said. “Although he didn’t putt very well, he made some nice contributions to the team and we will see him in the lineup in the future.”

Rounding out the Hoosiers’ lineup was freshman Michael McGee, who came in the 80th spot.

The Hoosiers will hit the links again Oct. 12 for the Alister MacKenzie Invitational in Fairfax, Calif.

Despite a trip that spans halfway across the country, the Hoosiers will be looking for the same success they had last year out in California when they finished runner-up in the Collegiate Match Play Championship last March.

“Last time we were out there, we did really well,” Erdy said. “Hopefully we can bring back some mojo from last year and keep it going.”