Monday, Sept. 30

Homecoming Parade to feature ‘wacky and wild’ floats

51st annual parade to end with pep rally at Sample Gates

Homecoming Pep Rally

This year’s Homecoming Parade is going to be a little wacky. “Wacky Wild Crimson Style,” that is.

After last year’s cancellation, which was set to be the parade’s 50th anniversary, the IU Student Alumni Association has made plans to pep it up this time around.

The parade has been an annual event since 1958 and a precursor to the homecoming football game. This year, it will be focusing on the theme “Wacky Wild Crimson Style,” said SAA President Heather Schaefer.

“The sky is the limit,” she said. “Be as creative as you possibly can, show IU spirit and wear something wacky and wild.”

Hoosier fans can expect a variety of groups and organizations marching in the parade, including the Marching Hundred and dance group IU Essence.

But like any parade, the main focus is always the floats.

Groups such as the Residence Halls Association and IU Habitat for Humanity will all be showcasing their spirit by decking their floats out in the wackiest display of Hoosier pride they can think of.

But not only is it a chance for student organizations to show their school spirit, but it’s also a great way to show people what their organizations are all about, said Nick Bell, IU Habitat for Humanity chapter development director.

IU Habitat, which has been a part of the Homecoming Parade for the past few years, will be building a mini-habitat house on a float painted in the colors of cream and crimson.

Of course, the parade won’t be limited to floats and marchers only. Members of the IU football team will be there as well, along with IU President Michael McRobbie.

“You can sign up online to have a float, decorate a car, decorate a bike – just about anything you want to do to show IU spirit,” Schaefer said.

Each year the SAA looks for the best float. Last year, the members of Sigma Phi Epsilon took home the title of homecoming champions and will be looking to do the same again this time, said Grant Huebner, Sigma Phi Epsilon vice president of communications.

The parade route will begin on Rose Avenue in front of Willkie Quad and travel down Third Street to Indiana Avenue, where it will culminate in a pep rally at the Sample Gates.

The pep rally, led by IU coach Bill Lynch, will feature members of the football team and will work to rally momentum for the football game against Illinois on Saturday,  Schaefer said.

“It’s really just a place where Hoosier spirit will be overwhelming,” she said. “But in a good way.”