Friday, Oct. 11

sports field hockey

Hoosier win 2 games in Iowa weekend trip

IU field hockey traveled more than 300 miles to pull off two victories in Iowa City, Iowa.

The Hoosiers beat Iowa 2-1 on Friday and California 1-0 on Saturday.

“We had a lot of determination and hard work going into this game,” sophomore back Brenna Moeljadi said.

IU got off to an early 1-0 lead against Iowa with a goal by junior midfielder Kelsey Kiper, who retrieved a rebound to score at the 2:57 mark.

The Hawkeyes responded with a goal from a penalty corner by senior midfielder Meghan Beamesderfer.

Freshman forward Morgan Fleetwood scored the game-winning goal and her fifth of the season. She was assisted by freshman forward Shareyna Chang.

Junior goalkeeper Alex Mann had four saves on the game and preserved IU’s one-point win.

“This win is a turning point in our season,” Fleetwood said.

Saturday’s game was more of a defensive battle for both teams.

In the first half, neither team scored a goal, although California and IU missed chances and took three shots on goal.

Fleetwood scored the only goal of the game 17 minutes into the second half on a pass from freshman forward Brooke Borneman.

“We were sloppy in the beginning, then settled down by the second half,” IU field hockey coach Amy Robertson said.

Fleetwood’s two goals this weekend put on top of the team’s scoring, as she now has six on the season.

Mann had her first shutout of the season with three saves to keep California scoreless in the game.

“These two wins are a confidence boost for the rest of the season,” Moeljadi said.